Pages

2.19.2014

Book Report - Outlander

I finished my first book of 2014.  It's actually one I've read before, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander.  I love it so much I try to reread it every couple of years (all 850 pages of it).


It's such a great book that crosses over so many genres - historical fiction, science-fiction, romance, and adventure.  It's insane how good it is.  The best part it is - it's a series.  I first read this book in high school - now here we are almost 20 years later and book number eight is about to come out.  I also mentioned here that Starz is turning it into a television series.  I'm so excited!!

The basic synopsis, if you're wondering, is this.  WWII nurse Claire is on honeymoon in Scotland with her new husband.  She stumbles upon some standing stones in the woods (think mini Stonehenge), touches them, and gets transported to 1740's Scotland.  Her circumstances force her to travel with a group of Scots who think she is most likely an English spy.  Tension is rising in the Highlands as the Jacobite rebellion is gearing up.  She tries to make her way back to the stones and return home, but she seems to continually find herself in trouble - English soldiers, witchcraft, rudimentary medicine, and of course a growing attraction to a certain Scotsman she can no longer ignore.

Sounds good, right?  Trust me, it is.  If you haven't read it yet, do so now.  And if you have read it, did you love it as much as I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment