Pages

3.03.2014

Back to Black

Did you watch the Oscars last night?  I thought Ellen did a really good job (and looked great too).  Since I'm in AZ now, they started at 6:30pm, so I actually was able to stay up and watch the entire show!!  My favorite part is still the fashion.  I can't help it, I just love the gowns.  I think I muttered to Bill a few times last night how I wish I could wear a gown.  Seriously, there should be more gown wearing opportunities for us regular folk, don't ya think?

Anyway, I thought I would take this week to highlight my favorite dresses of the night, and talk about some of the trends I was seeing.  The biggest one of the night - lack of color.  Yes, black was the big winner last night.  I counted a lot of big names wearing black gowns.  Here's what I thought of some of them.

Emma Watson
Emma Watson wore this black/charcoal Vera Wang number which I actually thought was very cool and edgy, but just not quite right for the Oscars (even for a presenter).  I think the top (despite the shimmer) reminds me too much of a t-shirt.  It was styled well though, and I really dug the bright red lipstick too.

Anna Kendrick
Anna Kendrick stepped out in this J. Mendel gown that just had way too much going on.  It took me awhile to figure out what was bugging me about this, and I thought for sure it was the red beaded midriff; but it is actually the neckline - or necklines I should say.  She literally has two necklines going on here - a crew with an asymmetrical on top of it.  I think if it had just one or the other it would have been a far better dress.

Anne Hathaway
Anne Hathway wore this Gucci column dress, and I'm torn between liking and not liking it.  Seriously, I look at it once and I think it works; then I look again and decide it doesn't.  Ultimately I decided I didn't like it.  The armor breast plate is just not right.  It's like she is trying to distract us from the fact that this is a very boring dress with some shiny objects.

Olivia Wilde
The beautifully pregnant Olivia Wilde, donned this Valentino column dress that is surprisingly similar to Anne Hathaway's - just minus the armor.  I think she looked great, but I would have liked the dress better with a different neckline - either a boat or V-neck would have worked better for me.  She still looked gorgeous though.

Julia Roberts
Julia Roberts, the first nominee I've mentioned so far, wore this Givenchy lace number.  Her hair and makeup look fantastic; but the dress, despite the lace, was very boring.  If she were only a presenter I would have said she looked fine, but as a nominee I expected way more.  Maybe she knew she wasn't going to win, so just went for comfort instead.

Glenn Close
Glenn Close was all covered up in this Zac Posen, and I think it looked great.  It's age appropriate and figure flattering - plus I love dresses with sleeves.  This much fabric and you run the risk of the dress wearing you, but not on her.  Well done, Glenn.

AND FINALLY...
Charlize Theron
Charlize knocked it out of the park with this gorgeous Dior Haute Couture gown.  She definitely wins best dressed in the black dress category.  I've talked a lot about necklines, and we finally have an example of how a neckline can make a dress.  It's exquisite (even with hidden shoulder straps).  Then, the detail on the hem and the trail really give this dress the fancy factor I expect to see at the Oscars.  The whole look is just flawless.  

So, what did you think of all the black dresses last night?  Honestly, if it weren't for Charlize I would have called this post "Boring in Black".  Oh, and I really do love Emma Watson's dress - I just didn't think it worked for the Oscars.  Everytime I look at it I want to see it on Angelina Jolie - she would rock that dress.  We'll talk more about her later in the week though.  We have a lot more dresses to talk about.  See you soon.

All photos courtesy of here.


No comments:

Post a Comment