Pages

3.24.2014

Book Report - The Goldfinch

I decided to read another behemoth of a book for my third choice of 2014 - Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch.


This book is actually a pretty amazing feat of literature even though I didn't love it.  It keep me constantly engaged, and the amount of research that must have been done to write it was crazy.  She name drops a ton of artists, paintings, composers, and music constantly - plus there's all the Russian too.  Don't be scared, it really impressed me and it has me wanting to get out to some art museums and bring a little more culture back into my life.

Why didn't I love it?  As intriguing as I found it, it's hard to rally around a story when you're not really rooting for the main character.  I know he went through a lot, and was scared young boy, but there were so many times if he would have just spoken up his life could have really turned around.  I couldn't believe how much he internalized.  I kept waiting for a moment that never really came.  Despite that, it has a fantastic cast of supporting characters and a real, if not quite as satisfying as I would have liked, ending.

This book does bring up a lot of thought provoking questions though.  Why do good things happen to bad people? Is it okay to do bad things if the ultimate result ends up good? (i.e. maybe two wrongs do make a right).

It's not perfect, but I still highly recommend this book.

Oh, and if you're like me and had no idea what "painting" they were referring to throughout the entire book - it's this one, Carel Fabritius' The Goldfinch.
I googled it mid way through the book, and unfortunately found out a big spoiler because of my search. Wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment