Pages

3.05.2014

Jewels in the Crown

We looked at the black and the white - now let's get some color going up in here.

Jennifer Lawrence
Jennifer Lawrence in Christian Dior was the only red dress I saw all night, and I thought she looked great. The cut is perfect for her, she pulls off the color (and that's a tough color), and her hair, makeup, and jewels were perfect.  I even liked the little peplum on her hips.  My only complaint - she was a nominee, so I was hoping for a little more glam from her for her possible back-to-back win.

Viola Davis
Viola Davis wore this tealish Escada number.  I actually love everything about her look (her hair is so cute), except for the color of the dress.  It reminds me of a prom dress.  Just imagine though, how great this look would be if the dress was a deep royal purple instead.  The color is just too distracting, but great job on everything else.

Gabourey Sidibe
Gabourey Sidibe chose this bold Theia dress in fuchsia.  I love the color, and think it looks great with her skin tone - but it maybe was a little too much color to wear head to foot.  I also know that it must be extremely difficult to find an Oscar worthy plus-sized dress, so I give her an A for effort.  Ultimately though, I think the texture and cut of the sleeves is not working for her.

Amy Adams
Amy Adams walked the red carpet in this sapphire Gucci gown.  I love a good navy blue dress, and this one is good.  The small train ups the fanciness factor from all the other column gowns we saw that night, and the cute folds on the neckline provide much needed visual interest to the otherwise simple gown.  Her strawberry blond hair and make-up were simple, and her cute coral drop earrings added just a touch of contrast.  It all came together perfectly.

Idina Menzel
Broadway darling, Idina Menzel, donned a lovely emerald green Vera Wang gown.  I really loved this dress - the sweetheart neckline, color, and draping; it's right up my ally.  It had some styling issues though.  I think the necklace was the wrong choice.  It's competing with the neckline of the dress.  It would have worked better with just the bracelet and some statement earrings instead.

AND FINALLY...

Sandra Bullock
Sandra Bullock wins the jewel tone category with this gorgeous sapphire Alexander McQueen gown. (I love a good navy blue dress, and this one was FANTASTIC!) This is what I expect from a nominee, and she did not disappoint.  The sweetheart neckline, sheen of the fabric, train, and draping are all perfect. Her curled side swept hair, dark smoky eye, and simple bracelet and earrings all complimented the dress perfect.  She looked amazing.

Sandra came very close to being my best dressed pick of the night, but I ultimately decided on another I'll reveal on Friday.  What did you think of her look and the other jewel toned looks?

Photos courtesy of here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment