Pages

5.21.2014

Book Report - The Fault in our Stars

Yesterday I read John Green's The Fault in Our Stars.  Literally, yesterday, as in read it in one day. It's Young Adult fiction, so I tend to fly through those. Here's what I thought.
It's a pretty descent book if you're looking for a quick summer read.It's about two teenagers who fall in love, and oh yeah, they both have Cancer, so it's pretty sad too. It was nice to read a Young Adult novel that wasn't about vampires or dystopian society. That was a nice change of pace. I really enjoyed the main character, Hazel.  I thought her voice was authentic and refreshing. Augustus, Hazel's love interest, was a bit over-the-top for my tastes, but it worked for the story. There's also an interesting side story as Hazel and Augustus correspond with and track down the reclusive author of Hazel's favorite book.

All in all it's a sweet and sad little book.  If your teenage daughter is reading it you needn't worry.  It's better than a lot of stuff out there right now.  I liked it.

I wanted to read this before the movie came out.  This preview is actually what peaked my interest in the book.  Are you planning on seeing it?


Update:  Saw the movie and thought it was really good. They did right by the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment