Pages

5.12.2014

Disney Project - Dumbo & Bambi

The Disney Project continues (as outlined here if you don't know what I'm talking about).  We watched the 1941 and 1942 classics Dumbo and Bambi respectively.  This was a fun little grouping because they are both such cute movies that Madeleine really enjoyed.
Dumbo is just about the sweetest little movie out there.  I loved the unconditional love portrayed between Jumbo and Dumbo (the Baby Mine song might have you in tears).  Then, you also have the whole bullying for his ears story, and how he sticks it to everybody by learning to fly and being all awesome.  Dumbo also has a lot of familiar songs to sing along with too - Pink Elephants on Parade and When I See an Elephant Fly are two of my favorites.
I couldn't tell you the last time I watched Bambi and really payed attention to it.  I'm glad I did this time around because I noticed something I never had before - the music!!  Other than the spoken words of the characters, all the sound in this movie comes from musical instruments.  For example, in the rain scene the drops of rain start as single clarinet notes and when the storm is in full swing you hear cymbal crashes for thunder.  I just thought it was so neat that they didn't use any other sound effect techniques besides instruments.  It just made it that much more sweet.

As far as the story goes, not much actually happens in Bambi. It really just just sort of shows the life of a deer in the woods. He's born, he learns stuff, his mom dies, time passes, he finds a lady deer, there's a fire, and then he has twins. It all works perfectly though.

Both these movies are great for kids, especially young kids.  They're each only an hour long, and I loved that they're not about princesses.  I would actually recommend these two as first Disney movies for your little ones before Snow White or Pinocchio.  They really are such sweet little films.

Both images from Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment