Pages

6.30.2014

Let's Go to the Movies - The Fault in our Stars and Maleficent

After reading John Green’s, The Fault in Our Stars earlier this year (see here), I mentioned that I was looking forward to seeing the movie. I’m happy to say that it didn’t disappoint.

If you’re unfamiliar, the premise is two teenagers fall in love, and oh yeah, they both have cancer. As dismal as I’m sure that sounds, it’s actually a really sweet story. I think it is easy to dismiss young love when you’re older as not real, but what if you’re not meant to live a long life? It’s an interesting concept to explore, and makes for a very touching story.

This was also a rare case where the movie was equally as good as the book. I already knew the casting when I was reading it; so it’s easy to say that Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort were perfectly cast when that’s who I was always picturing as the characters in the first place. They had really great chemistry onscreen, and it was fun to watch them bring these characters to life.

I especially enjoyed the parts set in Amsterdam. It’s not a city I am too familiar with, but it looked so beautiful in the film. It definitely made me want to check it out in person someday. I also really liked Hazel’s wardrobe in the movie. It was such a simple jeans and T-shirt look, and it all looked so comfy. Even when she dressed up, the looks were effortless and comfortable.

If you’re a big fan of the book, well, I’m sure you’ve already seen it, but on the off chance you haven’t yet I would definitely recommend it. You won’t be disappointed. If you haven’t read the book, I’m not 100% certain this is a must-see movie. It’s good, but it will be just as good watching it on your living room couch after it comes out on DVD.



Another movie I saw recently was Disney’s Maleficent starring Angelina Jolie. Angelina is one of my favorite actresses, but she really doesn’t do too many films anymore (her last was The Tourist in 2010). I think it was such a fun role for her to take on, and it really suited her brilliantly. So much so, that I’m actually having trouble distinguishing whether I really enjoyed the film, or I just enjoyed her.

I liked the twist on the classic Sleeping Beauty tale. Was Maleficent a real villain, or just a victim of circumstance? Or maybe she’s not a villain at all, and the tale we all know just isn’t true. The setting was beautiful, dark, and moody; but I was aware that there was a lot of CG going on throughout. I also didn’t care for the enlarged heads on the three little fairies – they just looked off the entire time.

I loved seeing Sharlto Copley as King Stefen. He’s been a favorite of mine since District 9. I thought Elle Fanning as Princess Aurora was only okay. She seemed to be trying way too hard. I’m not sure I can blame her though. It had to be tough trying to keep up with Angelina Jolie in a role she was just so suited for. Angelina just made this movie. All in all, Maleficent was a great movie because Angelina Jolie was great in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment