Pages

7.07.2014

Big Bugs

While dropping my kids off at daycare we spotted this huge bug crawling in the rocks.  It was about 4 inches long; so big you could literally hear it walking on the rocks. 
 
 
Of course I had to look it up to see what it was when I got to work.
It's the Palo Verde Beetle. They can grow up to 6 inches long, and they fly!! I'm simultaneously grossed out and fascinated. People told us one of the best things about Phoenix was the lack of bugs. Let me set the record straight. Phoenix may not have mosquitoes, but they do have bugs...really fricking big bugs!!

Besides this guy, we've also seen on a regular basis Crane Flys and House Crickets. I have yet to see a scorpion though, and that's fine with me.

Palo Verde Beetle image from here.

2 comments:

  1. That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. I am not sure if I would prefer the Mosquitos compared to those things buzzing around. I guess if they leave you alone, they aren't that bad. You just have to get use to them I guess. Love reading about your new experiences in Arizona. -sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that thing could fly until later. I probably would not have gotten so close if I knew it might fly up at me. It's definitely the biggest bug I have ever seen outside like that.

      Delete