Pages

7.09.2014

Touring AZ - Montezuma Castle, Well, and Sedona

My sister is visiting this week!  Yay!!!  Last time she was here we were hoping to get up to Sedona and see the sights, but the kids got sick.  I wanted to make sure we did it this time, so yesterday her and I took a little road trip North and visited Montezuma Castle, Montezuma Well, and Sedona.

Sedona is not quite two hours North of where we live, and Montezuma Castle and Well are along the route. So, we thought why not check them out too.
The first stop was Montezuma Castle.  It was built by the Sinagua people sometime between 1100 and 1425 AD.
They used the natural indentations in the cliffs to build their clay homes.
Montezuma Castle was one of the first of four sites in the United States to be declared a National Monument in 1906 by President Roosevelt.
Eleven miles away from the castle is Montezuma Well.
It was formed by the collapse of a limestone cavern.
It's fresh water, but no fish live in it.  It's primary occupants are leeches!!
We spent more time than we planned at the first two stops, so by the time we got to Sedona we were starving and exhausted.  After we ate, we shopped for a while, then were too tired to explore much more of Sedona after that.  Luckily I snapped some pictures as we were driving in. 
We both agreed Sedona is beautiful and this would definitely be a great weekend getaway trip.  To fully experience it I think you need at least two days.  One for sightseeing and one just for shopping and eating.
I'm sure we'll be visiting Sedona a ton.  It's so nice to have something so beautiful so close to home. It has definitely made me want to get out there and explore more of my new state.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! I am glad you and Jane got out there this time. The water in the well looks so clear, I would jump in were it not for the leeches. I am glad you and Jane got out there this time. What a beautiful world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. I hope you guys can come to visit.

      Delete