Pages

7.02.2014

Up, Up, and Away

BUYER BEWARE - Please see my updates at the bottom of this post. I do not recommend purchasing this product.

Last Christmas I asked for and received the JawboneUP24. I’ve been using it for about six months now, so I thought I’d take a second to let you know what I think of it.
Image from here.
First of all, I like how it looks. It has a more bracelet type feel than a lot of the other fitness trackers out there right now. It’s unobtrusive and easy to slip on and off. I wear mine on my left hand. If I want to wear a watch though, I usually take it off as the two don’t work well together. Maybe if you had a little watch you can wear both, but mine is a big clunky one that I wear loose.

Next, I specifically wanted the UP24 because I wanted the Bluetooth capability. I wanted to be able to check my stats at any time on my phone. You can’t check your stats on the bracelet itself. The app is actually all where it’s at. It has a great look, and it is easy to see where you are with your goals at any time. It also gives daily tips to help motivate you are interesting little factoids. However, if I don’t ever look at my phone then I have no idea how I’m doing. It’s funny how many days I just don’t check it at all. That’s on me though, but maybe if you could check the stats on the device itself it would motivate me even more.

I’ve enjoyed the sleep tracker a lot. It tells you not only how long you slept, but how much of that was sound sleep versus light sleep; how long it took you to fall asleep, and when you wake up during the night. When I first got it, Seamus was not yet sleeping through the night, so it was always really interesting to see how much sleep I was actually getting. It was pretty novel in the beginning, but it’s really sort of useless information when you think about it. It’s not like it does anything to help you get the best sleep possible each night. It does provide tips that may help you sleep better, I suppose; but really, it’s just a snap shot of how you slept each night.

I’m also digging the alarm. You set it for whenever you want to wake up, and it will simply vibrate to wake you up. You can even set it to wake you at the optimal time for your body. For example, you set it to wake you at 6am, but at 5:52 it notices you’re in a light sleep. So, it will vibrate then instead of waiting the 8 minutes in which you might fall back into a deep sleep. Supposedly you wake up more awake and less groggy that way.

Another great feature is that it can hold a charge for a long time – 7 days. You have to plug it into a computer to charge (although they do have a wall charger available to purchase separately). I charge once a week or so while I am at work, and that seems to work fine for me.

So, it really does have a lot of great features, but in the end it’s all up to you and how you use them. I find it really has not motivated me at all, yet I continue to wear it every day. My goals are 10,000 steps and 8 hours of sleep a day and I hardly ever meet them. Usually I look at my total each night and am surprised by how little I moved that day. Or sometimes I feel like I didn’t do anything, and I’ll have a high step count because I was running a lot of errands or something. It’s all interesting information, but I’m definitely not using it to its full potential. I don’t look at it and think, oh, only 1,000 more steps and I’ll have reached my goal, let’s get moving. Maybe for you it would though. Most days I just use it in place of my alarm clock.

So, that’s the Jawbone UP24. I really intended this to be a more favorable review than it turned out to be. I really do like it, and I think if used right it can be a great tool. Unfortunately, I think I just need more to really motivate me. I do get excited on those rare days I reach 10,000 steps; but apparently not enough to care if I ever do it again.

UPDATE: In September 2014 my UP24 conked out on me. For some reason it just stopped holding a charge. Luckily it was still within the 1-year factory warranty, and I was able to get it replaced. The Jawbone customer service was really great.

Also, since my initial review above, my husband has started using the FitBit. I don’t like the look of that one as much, but I must say I am a little jealous that he can check his stats right on the device. Plus, it tracks stairs and he can check the time. A watch function would be really cool to have.

UPDATE 2: In May 2015 the replacement UP24 conked out on me again. The same issue as the first, it just stopped holding its charge. I called customer service again, but was out of luck. They stated the warranty period did not re-up when I received the replacement band and it was past their 60-day return policy. My only option was to trouble shoot, which I declined. I could understand one faulty band as being a fluke, but two? No thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment