Pages

8.11.2014

Book Report - Game of Thrones

I've been watching Game of Thrones on HBO since it started a few years ago, and I had no intention of reading the series. However, even though I've seen every episode I hardly know anyone's names and sometimes have no idea who anyone is or how they play into the story. I follow along well enough, getting the gist if you will, but I thought reading the book might help me understand the show better.
So, after just finishing the behemoth that is Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin I can honestly say that I do understand things better! Besides getting additional back story on the prominent characters there are a number of other characters that I was clueless about from the show that I now know who they are and understand their purpose. So, yay!

Having watched the show already though, it took me a long time to get through this book. There was no suspense knowing where it was all headed, so I would go long stretches of time between reading it.

The only thing I found totally strange about the book was how young the characters are all - like really young. Characters that look to be in their early twenties on the show are only 14 in the book. All the Stark and Lannister kids (who are main characters mind you) are between 7 and 14. It becomes very icky when you think of all the sex and murder that is happening. I'm very glad they aged everybody up for the series, or it would be seriously disturbing to watch. Eventually while reading I just ignored the ages and made them all older in my head as well.

I think I'm going to continue reading these. I liked it that much despite already knowing the plot. Maybe I can catch up, and get ahead of the show.

So, whether you watch the show or not, I highly recommend this book.

Have you read Game of Thrones, or watch the show? Have you ever read a book after you saw the movie? I hardly ever do that because of how it warps my imagination. Even if I haven't seen the movie, but just know who they've cast as the characters messes me up. I can't help but picture the actors no matter how they're described in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment