Pages

8.29.2014

Emmy Fashion - All the Rest

It's the last day of my Emmy Fashion retrospective. Let's take a look at some of the dresses that didn't exactly fit into the rainbow color categories.

Allison Williams
Allison Williams, from "Girls," wore this Giambattista Valli number that I was initially undecided on. Ultimately, I decided I liked it. The shape is great and fits her well (such a tiny waist!). The soft pink, yellow, black, and cream play off each other well. It's both pretty and visually interesting. Her hair is a little severe though, and I would have like to see it down around her shoulders.

Michelle Dockery
Nominee, Michelle Dockery, from "Downton Abbey" wore this lovely Rosie Assoulin gown that I also really liked. It was just so different. The colors are fresh and the fit is flattering. I love her soft up-do and make-up. Great job!

Anna Gunn
Anna Gunn from "Breaking Bad" wore this white and blue Rosie Assoulin dress.  It's an okay dress; but as a nominee and ultimate winner that night, I would have loved to see something with a bit more "wow" factor. It's flattering on her though, and I liked her hair too. 

Natalie Dormer
Natalie Dormer from "Game of Thrones" rocked this J. Mendel dress. I love the crew neckline, orange color-blocking, and silhouette of this dress. I will say it is on the verge of looking "Halloweeny", but I think her gorgeous hair, make-up (love the black nails), and fierce expression made it work. This was one of my favorite looks of the night. Awesome job!

Julianna Margulies
Nominee and eventual winner that night, Julianna Margulies, wore this black, slinky Narciso Rodriguez dress. I wasn't a fan. It starts off well, but once the black fades to the nude with black overlay instead - it lost me. It would have been so much better if it stayed that saturated black you see along her bust and waist. Also, a dress like this would have worked better with her hair down. 

Lena Heady
Lena Heady, looking very different from her Game of Thrones character, wore a black Rubin Singer asymmetrical gown. I liked her look. The interesting folds and cascading hem keep this basic black dress from being boring. Her fierce attitude is the only accessory needed. She definitely pulled this look off.

Amy Poehler
Amy Poehler opted for a shimmering, silver, Theia dress that just missed the mark. This dress was made for someone with a curvier figure than Poehler. She had the right idea to wear her hair down, but it looks a little messy. I'm afraid she just doesn't have the va-va-va-voom factor needed to pull this look off. 

Gwen Stefani
New host of "The Voice", Gwen Stefani (can't wait for that!) looked appropriately rocker-chic for the event in this silver Versace number. I love the fabric and interesting neckline. Her straight hair and smoky eye compliment the dress perfect. This look totally suited her.

Sofia Vergara
Sofia Vergara, from "Modern Family," wore this figure hugging, white, Roberto Cavalli number and looked beautiful. She has the curves to pull off this dress. I loved her hair, make-up, and jewelry too. My only complaint is that I feel she wears this look all the time. I know it's probably because she wears it so well, but I would love to see her in a different style of dress sometime.

AND FINALLY...
Lizzy Caplan
My favorite in this "other" category is Lizzy Caplan from "Masters of Sex" in this black and white Donna Karan Atelier gown. I just love what this dress is doing for her figure. The halter neckline shows off her gorgeous shoulders, and the cut-outs at the waist make her already tiny waist look even tinier. The black part of the dress would have looked lovely on its own, but the white train was such a refreshing twist and really made the dress. Her swept back hair, smoky make-up, and simple accessories all complimented the look well. Beautiful job!

That concludes this year's review of Emmy Fashion. I can't wait for all my favorite shows to start back up soon to see all these fabulous ladies in action.   

All photos from here except for Natalie Dormer's which is from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment