Pages

8.04.2014

Let's Go to the Movies - Chef, Tammy, and X-Men: Days of Future Past

I have another trio of movies I've seen recently. Here's what I thought.

First up, Chef, starring Jon Favreau. He also wrote and directed it, and got some big names like Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson to partake as well. Chef tells the story of Chef Carl Casper, who loses his job in a fancy restaurant, and decides to open up a food truck. He travels across the country with his son rebuilding their relationship as well as his reputation.

This was such a sweet film. It's all about finding happiness in your life by being with your family and following your passions. However, the real star of this film was the food!! Everything they were cooking looked so good (that grilled cheese!!). You'll definitely enjoy this film, but I'll warn you though, that much like grocery shopping, don't go to see this film while hungry.


Next up, my sister and I went to see Tammy, starring Melissa McCarthy. We were in the mood for something funny, and we thought this would fit the bill.

After losing her job and her husband, Tammy takes her grandmother (played by Susan Sarandon) on a wild road trip.

There were definitely moments in this film that made me laugh, but on a whole I'm afraid this movie was a miss for me. It was inconsistent. Sometimes the character was over the top silly (almost stupid) and then she'd do a 180 and was pretty normal...like the movie couldn't decide if it was going to be a slapstick comedy or a sweet comedy. I've loved Melissa McCarthy since her Gilmore Girls days, and I'm glad for the success she's achieved, so maybe my expectations were just to high going into the film. It was a bit of a let down for me.


Finally, Bill and I went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past on a recent date night. I'm a fan of this franchise, and was really looking forward to this one. I can tell you, it did not disappoint.

The X-Men are at it again trying desperately to fight off robots specifically designed to find and eliminate all mutants, but they're not winning this war. In a last ditch effort, Dr. Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and Magneto (Ian McKellen) put their differences aside to save their kind. They send Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) back in time to team up with their younger selves (James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender respectively) to stop the creation of these robots and change history forever.

This film was a straight-up triumph for the franchise. I mean, really, how awesome is it that they found a way to successfully mash up the awesome stars of X-Men: First Class (James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Jennifer Lawrence) with the awesome X-Men of the future films (Hugh Jackman, Ellen Page, and Halle Berry). Plus, I always think the logistics of movies like this must be insane, and to successfully get all the original actors on board and in one film (many of which are far more successful now then when the franchise started)...it just blows my mind, and as a fan, I truly appreciate it. Needless to say, I loved it. If you can only see one of these on the big screen...this is the one to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment