Pages

9.15.2014

Book Report - The Leftovers

Yes, another Book Report post. This is what you get from me - whatever I happen to be into at the moment. Right now, it's reading.

I finished Tom Perrotta's "The Leftovers" a few days ago. It's a really quick read, but I didn't care for it much. I'll tell you why, but first I have to tell you why I decided to read it.
Image from here.
I kept seeing the previews for the new HBO show based on this book over the summer. It looked interesting and a just a little bit scary. I was intrigued. The premise - what if a large population of the world one day, all at the same time, simply vanishes. How would those of us left behind (aka the leftovers) deal? Also, it starred Justin Theroux, Liv Tyler, and the ninth Doctor himself - Christopher Eccleston; all favorites of mine. So, I started to watch it. Two episodes in I decided it was just a little too violent and disturbing for me, but I was still interested in knowing what happened to all the people. (and also what was up with the weird cult?) When I found out it was based off a one and done novel and not a series I decided to ditch the show and just read the book to get my answers.

The reason I didn't care for the book, then?  NO ANSWERS!!!!!!!

Seriously, not a one.

I will say that it was well written, fast paced, and flowed well - also not at all gross or violent like the show was. There just wasn't much of a story. I guess the characters lives were a little better at the end than they were at the beginning, but just a little bit.

I suppose I should say that the book does answer one question. It may not tell you what happened to all the people who disappeared, but it does answer the question - what would the people left behind do? The answer, cope as best you can and just keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment