Pages

9.12.2014

This Little Piggy

I literally ran into another new-to-me Arizona animal yesterday...a Javelina!!

I've been getting up early to run at 5am during the week, and it's still pretty dark outside at that time. At the end of my route I ran past a bush and heard a large animal scurry. I thought it was a coyote, but when I turned to look saw it was some kind of wild pig. I happened to be in a cul-de-sac at the time, and had no way to get back home without running back past it (although on the other side of the street). I was so scared, but I slowly walked past it. It was standing in a neighbor's yard, lit up under their garage light. It just stared at me, and I stared back - that's when I realized there were two of them!!  I tell you, this little piggy sprinted the last block to home like my life depended on it. When I got home I googled "Phoenix - wild pig" and the search results were littered with the word "Javelina."
Yep, that's definitely what I encountered. From what I read they are actually relatively harmless unless you threaten their young. Happy to know my fear of getting gored in my subdivision was unfounded, but still hope I don't run into another one any time soon.

I still can't believe how different the wildlife is in the Southwest versus the Midwest (check out here and here). Bill has seen multiple rattlesnakes while biking - which is crazy! I hope I don't come across any of those while running.

Photo image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment