Pages

10.22.2014

Toddler Friendly Halloween Movies

I wanted to round up a few Halloween themed movies for Madeleine and Seamus to watch this year as we've already exhausted all the Halloween episodes of their favorite Disney Junior shows. After quite a few Google searches though, I realize there's a difference between "family friendly" and "toddler friendly" as far as Halloween movies go. Believe me, I can't wait for the day we can sit down and watch the classics like Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, or my favorite Hocus Pocus; but they're still too young for those yet. Not to mention, they have little interest in anything not animated. In fact, I'm not even sure they're ready for the likes of such animated classics as the Nightmare Before Christmas or Coraline yet. So, I've put together a little list of Halloween films that I think are suitable for the 4 and under crowd.

1. Monsters, Inc. / Monsters University

Okay, so not specifically Halloween, but it's about monsters so it counts. We've seen Monsters, Inc. a few times, but not Monsters University yet. I picked it up for the kids to watch next week. I'm a fan of anything that is entertaining for parents too, and Pixar always delivers on that point. Monsters Inc will be on Disney October 26 and 27th and Monsters University will be on Starz October 30th.

2. Hotel Transylvania

We saw this one last year, and Madeleine seemed to enjoy it. All your favorite monsters are vacationing at the super secret Hotel Transylvania when - oh no! An unsuspecting human accidentally stumbles across them. This one is also pretty entertaining for parents too. This is going to air on FXX October 24, 25, and 28th.

3. The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
A classic. ABC already aired it, but it looks like they're going to air it again on October 30th.

4. Curious George: A Halloween Boo Fest
We watched this one last night (Netflix instant) and it went over well. George and his friends investigate the legend of "No Noggin" the headless scarecrow. If you don't have Netflix, it looks like PBS kids is going to air it on October 28th.

I also found a few others that I don't see airing on TV anywhere, but maybe you can rent this season.

5. Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie
We've not seen this one, but obviously Winnie the Pooh will be suitable for the little ones.

6. Wallace & Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

We haven't seen this one either, but always a fan of Wallace & Gromit. Also, love anything claymation!

7. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

I'm such a fan of the Disney version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The Headless Horseman may be a little scary for the kiddos yet, but I think with the help of some snuggles from mom and dad my kids could handle it and enjoy.

There you have it. Are there any others out there you'd recommend? Madeleine just started watching Scooby-Doo episodes on Netflix too. She gets scared by them, but knows now that the monsters are never real. Before every episode she declares that she is going to be brave. I won't let her watch it when Seamus is around though.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily: Disney came out with a cartoon called Trick or Treat in 1952. I think you'll enjoy it. Disney also had some cartoon made in 1929 called The Skeleton Dance and Haunted house. There are a lot of Halloween cartoons on youtube.

    ReplyDelete