Pages

11.10.2014

Book Report - In Cold Blood

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I buy books and then never read them. Sometimes I buy them just because they're pretty. I do always plan to read them, but for whatever reason I just don't get around to it.

Such was the case with my Folio Society edition of Truman Capote's, In Cold Blood. It has been sitting on my book shelf for probably a couple of years now, so I finally picked it up.

The entire time I was reading it I just kept asking myself -

How have I gone my entire life without reading this amazing book?!?!?!?!?!?!
It's such an interesting concept that even now, 48 years after it was first published, still feels fresh. Essentially the first of its kind - a nonfiction novel; it's the "true crime" story of the senseless murder of four members of the Clutter family in 1959 rural Kansas, and it's fantastic!

Capote heard about the murder and before they even captured the killers he decided to go to Kansas to write about the crime. When the killers were apprehended, he continued to write about their story until it was fully concluded. He interviewed everybody - townspeople, investigators, and even the killers themselves. The result was a captivating narrative that both pays respect to the victims and ponders larger questions about crime and punishment in America that still seems relevant today.

I cannot recommend this book enough. Read it now!!

P.S. - Did you see the movie Capote starring the late Philip Seymour Hoffman? After reading In Cold Blood, I fully intend to watch it again. I'm sure it will be even better now.


P.P.S. - Are you listening to the Serial podcast everyone is talking about?  True Crime is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment