Pages

11.24.2014

Book Report - Not That Kind Of Girl

I picked up Lena Dunham's new book, Not That Kind of Girl. Have you read it?
Honestly, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this book or not. I watch Girls on HBO not so much because I'm a fan, but because I can't look away - much like one watches a car wreck along the highway. 

After every episode I am usually saying to myself...

These "girls" are idiots who pick just the most horrible and unattractive guys to date, and if this is what is like to be young and female in New York then my daughter is never going to live there...ever.

Yet, I watch each week hoping one of them will redeem themselves. It has yet to happen.

Then I watched these advice videos she made in promotion of the book, and I really liked them. I got it, and I finally understood all the hype around her. In real life, she comes across as funny, articulate, and intelligent. So, I picked up the book.

I think, for the most part, it was an enjoyable book. She's honest and funny. There were sections I totally related to, and sections I would encourage young women out there to read. I had a few, "Oh, I wasn't alone in feeling/experiencing that" moments throughout.

The reason I didn't love it though, was there were a whole lot more moments where I was like...um, this girl is seriously weird. She told a lot of stories from her early childhood, like under 10, that just seemed way to adult. I had a hard time believing they even actually happened. I don't doubt they did, but I just couldn't relate at all to those experiences. But, they kept me engaged because, you know, car wreck.  

So, I'd rate the book as good, but slightly weird. I definitely liked her as a writer, and hope she writes more. I'll be tuning into Season 4 of Girls


No comments:

Post a Comment