Pages

11.07.2014

Rainbow Cake Tutorial

Hey - are you interested in making your very own rainbow cake?  There are a ton of tutorials out there, but I sort of winged mine and it turned out great.  Here's what I did.

What you'll need:
2 boxes of your favorite white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines - Classic White)
3 cans of your favorite white frosting (I used Pillsbury - Classic White)
Food Coloring (I used Wilton Icing Colors)

Recommended: Cake Leveler

Step 1:
Preheat the oven and prepare the first box of cake mix as directed on the package. Split the batter evenly into thirds. Repeat with the second box of cake mix.

Step 2:
You should now have six small bowls of cake batter. Add one color food coloring to each bowl until the desired colored is achieved. Note - a little goes a long way.
Step 3:
Prepare 8-9" round cake pan as directed on the cake mix package. Pour each color into a cake pan and bake for 1/2 the recommended cooking time. I had three 9" cake pans and baked each for 12 minutes.

Step 4:
After you let the cakes cool, it is time to level and layer. Figure out what order you want the colors in (I went for the classic ROY G BIV - minus indigo). Put the first layer down, level with a knife or cake leveler, and frost just the top. Repeat until all layers are stacked.
Step 5:
Now it's time to crumb coat. Put a thin layer of icing over the entire cake; filling in all the gaps between layers. Chill in the fridge until hardened.

Step 6:
Once the crumb coating has hardened, put a second coat of icing over the entire cake for a nice clean and crumb-free look.

It should look like this when complete...
And this when you slice into it!!
I was completely happy with how mine turned out. If I had to do it all over again the only thing I would change would be to level off a bit more cake on each layer just so it wasn't quite so tall.

I'm thinking of trying this same technique to make an ombre cake next!  Maybe for Valentine's Day or something.

Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment