Pages

12.08.2014

Book Report - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children & Hollow City

I kept seeing the cover of Ransom Riggs' Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children all over Pinterest as a must-read, so I decided to check it out. I enjoyed it enough that I read the second novel, Hollow City directly after it.

The story surrounds a young boy named Jacob who shared a strong bond with his grandfather. Growing up his grandfather would tell him stories of peculiar children he knew in his youth that had special powers. After his grandfather dies under mysterious circumstances he goes to England to try and learn more, and discovers that all his grandfather's stories were true. Now that he knows the truth, can he go back to his life before or will he give it all up to join their cause?

The best part of these books is the gimmick with the photographs. The author collected real old photographs, and then created a story around them. For example, the little girl on the cover of the first novel is Olive; she can levitate. It was such a cool idea, and really different. I would get so excited every time I came to a new picture. They really helped move the story along.

I also loved the settings. There is a time travel element to these books, and although Jacob is from the present; the bulk of the story takes place in England during WWI.

As far as the story itself, it's a young adult series, so they were both really quick reads. The first book was better the second, but the story moves along fine between the two. I'll be looking forward to reading the conclusion whenever it comes out.

This was such a visual book, and I immediately thought what a good movie it would make. A quick IMDB search, and I discovered it's slated for 2016 and Tim Burton is directing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment