Pages

12.05.2014

Touring Phoenix - Tom's Thumb

The day before Thanksgiving, Bill and I took the day off work, but still sent the kids to daycare. It's how we sneak in what we occasionally call a day date. We've enjoyed hiking since moving here, but hadn't done any real noteworthy hikes yet, as the kids are usually with us.

So, we decided to hike the Tom's Thumb Trailhead together. 
It's a 4 mile round trip hike, and definitely the steepest hike I've done so far. The trail was pretty good most of the way, but there is a little bit of bouldering near the top.  Here's the view part way up. For a while we weren't sure where Tom's Thumb actually was. There were a lot of pretty impressive rocks, and we kept asking ourselves, "Is this it, do you think?"
However, there was no mistaking it once we actually did find it.
When we finally go to the top, we were the only ones there; so we took a bunch of pictures and explored the rocks for a while.
 
Here's the view from the top!
I'd like to say that the big adventure stopped there. That we had an easy hike back down and went on to enjoy the rest of our day off. I'd like to say that, but...

I SPRAINED MY ANKLE!

Yup, just shortly after starting our descent down my left foot slipped and I went down hard. The pain was intense, and I didn't think I would be able to keep going. We rested for a bit though and then slowly started down again. We didn't really have a choice. We were 2 miles away from our car and civilization, so I hobbled down the hill; leaning on Bill the entire way (who basically hiked back down backwards). It took forever, and I was so sore and tired by the time we made it back to the car. I'm so grateful Bill was with me to help me. I literally leaned on him harder today then ever before.

Despite the mishap though, we had a really nice time together. I can't wait to heal up so I can hike some more!

Oh, and also, over the weekend we celebrated our one year anniversary living in Arizona. I can't believe it has been a whole year already. We're still loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment