Pages

2.23.2015

2015 Oscar Fashion - The Good

Did you watch the Oscars last night? Are you ready to talk dresses?

This time I'm separating them by Good, Better, and Best.

First off, the Good. All these women are far more beautiful and talented than me, and a lot of them have hit it out of the park as far as red carpet fashion goes many times before. So, it's not that these looks were bad, they just weren't my favorites of the night.

Marion Cotillard
 
Nominee, Marion Cotillard, wore a white Christian Dior Couture gown. I actually really loved the dress from the front. The fun circle pattern and crew neck were working for me, and I thought it was really modern and cool. However, when I saw it from the back I got sad. The black band right below her tush is such a distraction. Her hair, make-up, and jewelry were absolutely stunning though. 

Nicole Kidman 
Nicole Kidman wore this iridescent Louis Vuitton column dress. I bet this dress was beautiful in person, but something about the sequinned material looks kind of cheap in photos. The red belt was the wrong choice, and would have worked much better if it was gold or a pastel color. I would have also gone with gold instead of silver accessories. There are just too many clashing elements here. Her hair and make-up were so plain as well. Since she chose the red belt, why not a bold red lip to really make your face pop? I think this was a case of a pretty dress styled very, very wrong.

Jessica Chastain
Jessica Chastain wore this navy blue Givenchy number. I loved the sparkly bodice, and really wished the same fabric was used for the entire gown, or maybe it's just the scoop of fabric below her bust that wasn't working for me. I'm not sure. The dyed to match shoes give the whole look a very bridesmaid feel. A silver or gold strappy sandal would have been a much better choice. I liked her necklace, but would have liked to see more jewelry - dangly earrings or bracelets, perhaps? The hair is pretty boring, and the make-up could have been bolder...more dramatic.  

Sienna Miller
Sienna Miller wore this navy and black Oscar de la Renta gown. I mostly like this gown, but there are a few things not working for me. I don't think it needed the bow on the neckline, and maybe not the middle one either. The navy blue lining should have gone all the way to the floor too. It really disrupts the visual flow of the dress. Her hair is good, and her make-up really good. Okay look, overall

Zoe Saldana
New mom, Zoe Saldana, showed off her fantastic post-baby body in this nude Atelier Versace dress. She looks pretty amazing, but I found the straps and the boning in the bodice are messing with the line of the dress. I would have preferred if this dress were strapless, as well as a different color. This is a va-va-va-voom dress that is missing a couple va-va's. Her hair and make-up are really nice though, and I liked her jewelry. Not bad.

Keira Knightley
Nominee, Kiera Knightley, wore this nude ethereal number embroidered with delicate flowers and words. This is a pretty good look for the expectant mom. I love how soft and delicate it is, and it is not easy to come off looking delicate while pregnant. So, kudos on that. The only thing not working for me is the scalloped edge of the bodice. Her hair and make-up is lovely too. Very nice.

Patricia Arquette
Winner, Patricia Arquette, wore this black and white Rosetta Getty gown. She's struggled with ill-fitting dresses the entire awards season, so I was happy to see that her gown fit her well at least. I liked the white draping over the shoulder, and black and white is always a classic combination. Her hair and make-up were well done too. As a nominee and eventual winner of the night, I was hoping for something with a bit more "wow" factor though. Overall, nice look.

Chloe Grace Moretz
Eighteen year old, Chloe Grace Moretz, wore this floral patterned Miu Miu dress. I didn't care for the pattern of this dress. It reminded me of wallpaper. There was also way too much pleating going on, and the fact that she never took her hands out of her pockets only accentuated it. Her hair was too casual, but I liked her make-up and the awesome earring cuff.

Dakota Johnson
Dakota Johnson wore this slinky, red Saint Laurent number. I thought this was a descent presenter dress. It's not very flattering along the bust though, but I did like the detailing on the shoulder. Her hair isn't the best, but her make-up and jewelry are both en pointe.

Felicity Jones
Nominee, Felicity Jones, wore grey Alexander McQueen for the big event. I loved the color and the ballgown silhouette (which, surprisingly, not many wore). This dress is all about the bodice though, and it seemed a little off to me - the halter neckline really distracts. I would have preferred to see the dress as strapless. The beading was lovely though, and her hair, make-up, and accessories were all working for me. Not bad at all.

As lovely as all these looks were, there are even far better ones yet to come. Stay tuned!

Marion Cotillard photos from here.
Nicole Kidman photo from here.
Jessica Chastain photo from here.
Sienna Miller photo from here.
Zoe Saldana photo from here.
Keira Knightley photo from here.
Patricia Arquette photo from here.
Chloe Grace Moretz photo from here.
Dakota Johnson photo from here.
Felicity Jones photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment