Pages

2.18.2015

Book Report - One More Thing: Stories And Other Stories Children's Book Report - The Book With No Pictures

A couple of weeks ago I read One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak. I've been a fan of his since The Office, and actually gave this book to Bill for his birthday back in November. I decided to read it as part of the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge and with it, checked off "A book of short stories".
First, I wanted to say how much I enjoyed just reading some short stories for a change. It was so nice to get a complete story without a huge investment of time. I kept the book on my nightstand, and every night would read a couple. Since every chapter (story) brings complete closure, I never felt that compelling need to stay up late reading just one more chapter to get a bit more information. This is such a great genre, as it provides the satisfaction of reading good fiction, but requires little time commitment from you.

Now, for the actual book, I thought it was pure fun. B.J. Novak strikes me as a bit of an odd duck, and his stories reflected that. They were all a little off-kilter, but for the most part, I found them to be funny and entertaining. Such a good read.

Next up, we added B.J. Novak's The Book With No Pictures to the kid's library. I picked this book up as soon as it came out last October, and then gave it to Madeleine for Christmas.  It's not often that I'm reading the same author as the kids, so I thought this would be the perfect time to share it with you.

First, I loved how similar the book covers were in style.
Next, the book itself is so much fun. It is exactly as the title states - no pictures. You know it has to be good then, if it has no pictures and still thoroughly entertains my 4 year old.
And how does it entertain them, you ask? Well, by making you read a whole bunch of silly words.
That's right. You're obligated to read every word on the page, no matter how ridiculous it may be. That's how books work!! It's hilarious, and such a refreshing change of pace. Madeleine loves it, and even better, I enjoy reading it to her. As far as children's books go, you can't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment