Pages

3.20.2015

Book Report - Big Little Lies

I recently finished reading Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty and I loved it!!
Here's the premise:
New in town, single mother, Jane, unexpectedly lands smack dab in the middle of kindergarten politics when her son is labeled a "bully" at orientation. Everyone is taking sides, and she luckily finds allies in fellow mothers Madeline and Celeste. Everyone has their own agendas and secrets they're trying to keep hidden. No one's lives are exactly what they seem; and if found out, could shatter the illusion of domestic bliss they're all trying so desperately to hang on to.

I started this book and was instantly hooked. I finished it in one day! It's a story that reminds the reader how gripping every day life can be. I mean, it's about a bunch of mothers whose kids are all in kindergarten together! Okay, it's actually about a murder, but the drama is all in the school politics.

I should point out that this book is my worst fear for what I'm going to encounter when Madeleine starts school. Helicopter and tiger mothers, bullying, PTA politics...I'm dreading it all.

Anyway, I especially loved Liane Moriarty's writing style. The novel would start each chapter with an unknown reporter interviewing all the parents after the murder occurred, then would flashback to the actual events leading up to the murder. It was very entertaining to hear all the "spectators" views of the main characters, different rumors that were floating around, and their prejudices first; then jump back to see what was actually going on with the characters. It really highlighted the fact that you never really know what others are going through.

Such a good read!

Oh, and I was able to check off "A book with antonyms in the title" as part of the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge.

What are you reading? I'm always looking for book recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment