Pages

3.04.2015

Book Report - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I've been really into reading lately. Right now, it's all I seem to want to do. I've actually read 12 books so far this year!! I think it's the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge I've been doing. It's really motivating me and I love when I get to mark off another category. I recently read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and was able to mark off "A book that came out the year you were born" from my list.

Woohoo! Let's hear it for books from 1979!!
The story centers around average human, Arthur Dent, who is saved seconds before Earth blows up by his friend, Ford Prefect, who turns out is an alien. Ford was on Earth researching, as he is a contributing writer of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the most helpful of reference materials for those traveling throughout the galaxy. The two go on one crazy adventure, and meet a number of eccentric characters along the way including Galactic President, Zaphod Beeblebrox; the depressed robot, Marvin; and the only other human survivor (and female to boot), Trillian.

I absolutely loved this book! It's just so silly that I really think it is impossible not to like it. The story is so insane, but when you're navigating the galaxy in a spacecraft equipped with an Infinite Improbability Drive; the most improbable things are bound to happen to you. This book is all about the details too. Every piece of information you are given serves a purpose, even if you don't find out the reason until chapters later. It was such a smartly written story, and so much fun too.

I grew up loving books like Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables. Having a son now, I've often wondered what great books for boys are out there that will make a lifelong reader out of him. This is one of those books. I cannot wait to introduce it to him (and my daughter as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment