Pages

3.06.2015

Podcast - The Nerdist

I'm relatively new to the Podcast world. I jumped on the Serial bandwagon last fall (see here), and discovered I really liked them (or at least that particular one). Since most of them are free anyway, I decided to see what else is out there. I get sick of my music sometimes, and they're a nice change of pace to listen to during my 30 minute commute.

I've mentioned before that I'm a huge The Walking Dead fan (see here), which means I always have to watch The Talking Dead afterwards. For those unfamiliar, after The Walking Dead airs they immediately air The Talking Dead, a panel show dedicated to discussing the episode of The Walking Dead that you just watched. It's crazy. Is there any other show that does this? They literally have another hour long show just to talk about the hour long show you just watched. They have great guests though, that can include anyone from the actors of the show, people who work on the show, and/or random celebrities that are just big fans of the show. I love it.

One of the main reasons I like it so much though, is for its host, Chris Hardwick. He is such a great host. He talks a mile a minute, but the man can annunciate like no other. It's pretty amazing. He keeps the show moving, he's funny, and he loves The Walking Dead as much as I do. As time went by, I realized, that I had slowly become a fan of Chris Hardwick's as well.

So, I decided to check out his podcast - Nerdist Podcast (aka The Nerdist).
I'm so glad I did, because it totally rocks!! Basically, it's just Chris Hardwick sitting down with a celebrity and talking for an hour or so, but it's so much fun! What makes it special, you ask? First off, Chris Hardwick is an amazing interviewer. Combine that with the intimate Podcast setting (not in front of an audience, no restrictions), plus the long duration; and you end up with a really open and honest discussion between him and his guest. It's a far cry from the 3 minute stint on most talk shows where celebrities have only enough time to plug their latest project and maybe a quick anecdote or two. It's really a conversation, and it's just so enjoyable.

He has some really great guests too...Paul McCartney, Ethan Hawke, Jeff Bridges - all their Podcasts were great. However, it's the smaller names that I'm always amazed end up reeling me in as well. Never would I have imagined that I would be totally enthralled listening to Henry Winkler or Wayne Knight, but both their Podcasts were awesome. Everybody has a story to tell, and Chris Hardwick is great at getting people to tell it.

I'd be remiss if I didn't let you know Chris Hardwick is joined each episode by his buddies Jonah Ray and Matt Mira. They occasionally chime in with a question, story, or joke during the interview. I don't mind Jonah (probably because he rarely talks), but Matt Mira bugs a little. Chris Hardwick is so natural with the guests, and I feel Matt Mira is always trying to "perform" to get a laugh. That's probably my only complaint though, and it's a small one.

Actually, my real only complaint is that there are so many episodes that I'll never be able to listen to them all!!!   I can barely keep up with the new ones, let alone go back and listen to the archives.

What Podcasts are you listening too? I'd love to add a few more good ones to my rotation, but happy to know I have a ton of The Nerdist to listen to in the mean time.

Enjoy your burrito!!

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding, Dad? They're like radio shows, I guess. If you go on iTunes and search Podcasts you'll find them. You can listen to them on your iPod, and most are free.

    ReplyDelete