Pages

5.11.2015

Book Report - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

I finally got around to reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. I wanted to see the movie, and I always try to read the book first. This book also marked off "A Memoir" from the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge I'm doing.
Wild is the true story of Cheryl Strayed's epic 1,100 solo hike along the historic Pacific Crest Trail; stretching from California to Washington. After losing her beloved mother to cancer, Cheryl cannot seem to get her footing in life any longer. She destroys her marriage, sleeps around, and starts using heroine. After randomly seeing a guide book about the Pacific Crest Trail, Cheryl decides to hike the trail in an attempt to gain closure and start putting her life together again.

I took me forever to get through this book (over a month). That's not to say I didn't enjoy it...it just didn't really captivate me. It's a pretty amazing story, but it's also just a story of a woman hiking. There was nothing pulling me back to it each day, you know? She's quite a woman though. I loved the idea of leaving your everyday life behind and going off on a big adventure like this though. So brave!

The book may not have captivated me, but it did inspire me. I really want to get out and hike more now, that's for sure. So far, I've only hiked for a couple of hours at a time. I'd love to go on a hike for miles, camp for the night, and then hike back the next day. I'd love to hike the PCT too...the whole entire thing. Some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment