Pages

5.06.2015

2015 Met Gala Fashion Part 1

The Met Gala (aka my favorite red carpet of the year) was earlier this week. The theme was China: Through the Looking Glass, so I was really excited to see that interpreted in haute couture. The Met Gala is not about looking pretty in a pretty dress. It's about looking fierce in high fashion. It's pageantry, costume, embracing the theme, and creating a look that will be talked about for years to come.

Here's a look at the ladies who brought it big time this year.

Sarah Jessica Parker
Sarah Jessica Parker, to me, is always the embodiment of this event every year - the Queen of the Met Gala if you will. So, what's a queen without her crown? In this case, an awesome flaming headdress by Philip Treacy. The flames, pom-poms, and the tassel - spectacular! Her H&M dress was the perfect accent too. Simple black, but with just enough visual interest to work with the headdress and not compete with it. I loved it!

Diane Kruger
Diane Kruger wore Chanel Haute Couture. Normally, I'd say this is not the event for pants, but this look worked for me. The different textures of all the pieces work surprisingly well with each other, and the belted train helped up the fanciness factor. I think it's the pop of red from the clutch though that really pulls it all together for me, and keeps it on theme. Super cute!

Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga wore this kimono-style Balenciaga ensemble. The sleek, sequined jumpsuit combined with the structured kimono was such an interesting juxtaposition that really worked. The headdress and jewelry perfectly complimented the look. The only thing that wasn't working for me was her eyebrows, but she's Lady Gaga, so...you know, that's to be expected.

Kate Hudson
Kate Hudson looked adorable in this gold, Michael Kors gown. Not a lot of drama, but the dress is on theme. The cut of the sleeves and the high neckline are definitely Asian inspired. The top knot hairdo complimented the look as well. Well, done.

Kendall Jenner
Up and coming model, Kendall Jenner, wore this chic, green Calvin Klein gown. The color is lovely and different. The high neckline gives nod to the theme, yet the sexy side-lacing gives the look a little edge. I loved her hair and make-up too. She looked great.

Katie Holmes
Katie Holmes wore this navy blue Zac Posen number. I loved the cut and silhouette of this gown. So simple, but the embroidered flowers add a little bit of visual interest. It was actually her hair though that pulled the whole look together for me. So flattering with the gown.

Zendaya
Disney star, Zendaya, wowed in this gorgeous, Fausto Puglisi ensemble. She outshined many red carpet veterans. It's definitely on theme, all the while still being cute, age appropriate, and stylish. Her hair, shoes, and jewelry perfectly accented the funky gown. Welcome to the big leagues, Zendaya. You've made it!

Anne Hathaway
Anne Hathaway brought old Hollywood glamour in this simple, yet stunning Ralph Lauren dress. Both the color and silhouette give nod to the theme, but it's the chic hood that really makes the look. Loved the hair and clutch as well. Beautiful!

Rihanna

There's no denying that Rihanna's yellow, Guo Pei coat was the star of the red carpet this year. Talk about high drama. It's gorgeous, and she rocked those stairs. Do you think she took it off once inside? I cannot imagine wearing that thing all night, can you? This look will definitely be talked about for years to come. Amazing!

AND FINALLY...

Fan Bingbing
My pick for the best look of the night was Fan Bingbing in this gorgeous Christopher Bu gown and cape. The gold sequined gown is gorgeous on its own, but it's the stain glassed, green cape that really made the look for me. It's simple, yet still so dramatic and on theme. Stunning!

What did you think of these looks? I've seen all sorts of mocking photos of Sarah Jessica Parker and Rihanna online which is such a shame. Anyone making fun does not get the point of the Met Gala. They, and all these ladies, seriously rocked it and I'm insanely jealous. If I could attend one red carpet event in my lifetime, I'd pick this one, and I hope I could be as fearless as these awesome ladies.

Lady Gaga photo from here.
Zendaya photo from here.
Anne Hathaway photo from here.
Fan Bingbing photo from here.
All other images from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment