Pages

7.01.2015

Book Report - The Girl On The Train

I read "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins a little while back. Everywhere it seemed people were reading it, so I jumped on the bandwagon to see what all the fuss was about.
Rachel takes the same train back and forth to work each day. At one stop, she's allowed a daily glimpse into the lives of one particular couple. From her seat on the train, she watches them a few moments each day as they go about their daily lives, and nicknames them "Jess and Jason." They seem to have a perfect little life, and it reminds her of the life she had not too long ago. Then, one day, she sees something she shouldn't. Suddenly, "Jess" is missing and Rachel feels she must tell the police what she saw. Before she knows it, she's become entwined in the controversy herself. Is she really helping though, or just meddling where she doesn't belong?

It's been a while since I read a mystery novel, and this one is pretty decent. Rachel was an interesting character; definitely more the anti-hero than traditional heroine. She's pretty messed up, continually doubts herself, makes a lot of mistakes; yet somehow finds the courage and conviction needed to get to the truth.

The "mystery" portion kept me engaged, although I did figure it all out about 3/4 of the way through. So, for me at least, there was no exciting reveal/twist at the end. I still enjoyed it though. It's a nice quick read, perfect for the beach or travel this summer.

I checked off "A Book published this year" from the Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge list. I'm just about 20 books in for the year, which leaves me with 32 books yet to read before the end of the year. I'm going to try my best to finish, but 5+ books a month seems quite the task. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment