Pages

7.22.2015

Book Report - Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

I've been meaning to read Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) for ages and ages. I just love her. She was great in The Office and I'm a big fan of her show The Mindy Project too.
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) is a comedic memoir of Mindy Kaling's life from her childhood as a chubby kid of successful immigrants to her successful career as a comedy writer and actress.

I said I was a fan of Mindy Kaling, but after reading her book...I think I like her even more! She's hilarious, honest, and completely relatable. We totally would have been friends growing up. (I wish we could be friends now!) This is such a great book for young girls to read too, or anyone planning on pursuing a career as a writer/performer in Hollywood. She got where she is because she's talented, yes; but also because she worked her butt off for it. I was impressed.

I wanted to share one part that really resonated with me. Funnily enough, it is parenting advice of all things. Mindy doesn't have kids, but I loved her words here.

When I was a kid, my parents smartly raised us to keep quiet, be respectful to older people, and generally not question adults all that much. I think that's because they were assuming that 99 percent of the time, we'd be interacting with worthy, smart adults, like my aunts and uncles; my teachers; my ancient and knowledgeable piano instructor; Mrs. Brewster; and police officers. They didn't ever tell me, "Sometimes you will meet idiots who are technically adults and authority figures. You don't have to do what they say. You can calmly say, 'Can I first call my mom and ask if I have to do this, please?' " But we didn't have cell phones back then. The only people with cell phones were rich villains in action movies you knew were going to die first.

When I have kids I will largely follow how my parents raised me, because like everyone else on the planet, I think my parents are perfect and so am I. But one thing I will impart to my children is "If you're scared of something, that isn't a sign that you have to do it. It probably means that you shouldn't do it. Call Dad or Mom immediately."

As I start to send Madeleine off to other people's homes for birthday parties, play dates, and such this is a concept I really want her to understand and feel comfortable doing.

Mindy has a new book coming out in September (see here), and I definitely won't put off reading that one.

As for my Popsugar 2015 Reading Challenge...I checked off "A book you can finish in a day" from the list (only took me about 6 hours to read).

Also, I much preferred this book to Tina Fay's Bossypants, in case you're wondering. I still need to read Amy Poehler's book...and Chelsea Handler's...and Ellen DeGeneres'.  So many funny ladies!

2 comments:

  1. I will have to pick this up soon! Seems great!

    www.artadorned.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely pick it up. She's so funny.

      Delete