Pages

7.17.2015

Vegetable of the Month - Spaghetti Squash

I recently tried spaghetti squash, and was so impressed with it! It's so easy to prepare, and has a nice crunch to it without any overwhelming flavor. I knew I could easily substitute it for spaghetti, and had high hopes that it would be a winner with the kids.

Vegetable - Spaghetti Squash
Recipe - Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce
I didn't use a specific recipe, but here's how I prepared.

Preheat the oven to 350°. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out all the seeds (like you would a pumpkin). Fill a baking pan with a 1/2 inch of water, and place the squash face down in the pan. Cook for about an hour or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let the squash cool slightly, and then remove the strands of flesh.

Easy peasy!

It's pretty amazing removing the strands. It looks like one solid mass when you take it out of the oven, but then once you stick a fork in and pull down - it just magically breaks up into perfect spaghetti strands.

After that, I just used our favorite jarred tomato sauce (Organic Marina Pasta Sauce by Simple Truth), and topped it with grated Parmesan cheese.

I ate it straight up, as pictured above. For the kids we mixed it in with regular spaghetti. Madeleine immediately knew something was off. Like I said, it has a slight crunch to it. However, when I made sure each forkful had a mixture of both the spaghetti and spaghetti squash for her, she ate it fine. The same goes for Seamus...no complaints. Yay!!

We eat spaghetti a few times a month, and I will definitely be mixing in spaghetti squash into it from now on.

Winner winner, spaghetti squash dinner!

Sidenote:  I actually prefer angel hair pasta over spaghetti, which I think is too thick and heavy, but I always still refer to angel hair pasta as spaghetti. One time Bill came home from the store with actual spaghetti (which is what I had written down on the list) and I berated him for basically not reading my mind and knowing that when I wrote spaghetti I actually meant angel hair pasta. To this day, every time I say we're having "spaghetti" he responds with some form of, "You mean angel hair pasta, right?" He'll never let me live it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment