Pages

8.03.2015

Let's Go To The Movies - Trainwreck

Sometimes it seems like I go weeks and weeks without seeing any new movies, and then BAM...I'll see a couple within days of each other. Such was the case again, when Bill and I saw first Ant-Man (see review here) and then Trainwreck in the same week.

Amy (Amy Schumer) has been living her life by the credo "monogamy isn't realistic" all her dating life. For the most part, it's working for her too. She has a great career as a writer at a men's magazine and has an active and fun social life. Assigned to do a story on a successful sports doctor, Aaron Conners (Bill Hader), Amy is unprepared when she discovers she has actual feelings for him. Could it be she's been wrong about love all these years?

It's been a long time since I've seen a good romantic comedy, and Trainwreck wasn't a good romantic comedy; it was a fantastic romantic comedy. I was so impressed with this movie. It's clever, fresh, and funny as hell...seriously, it's hilarious. Amy Schumer, who wrote as well as starred in the film, was amazing, and Bill Hader...who knew he could pull off a romantic lead? They were the perfect every woman and man...totally relatable and so cute. It wasn't just the leads that brought their A-games though. There were so many good performances and fun cameos from all sorts of athletes and actors. In particular, LeBron James was a riot, an almost unrecognizable Tilda Swinton was perfect, and Colin Quinn gave a surprisingly poignant performance too. Which brings up another reason I enjoyed the film so much. I knew I would laugh at Trainwreck, but I didn't think I would cry too. There were moments that were sweet, sad, and also quite touching. My only complaint, and it's a small one, was that film was maybe 15-20 minutes too long. Other than that though, it was damn near perfect.

I have to include a clip of one of my favorite scenes in the film too. I haven't been single for a long time, but when I was I would have loved someone to say this to me. No games, just saying what you want. Oh, and this was also the moment, for me at least, that Bill Hader went from "crazy SNL character guy" to "cute guy." Again, who knew?

Are you an Amy Schumer fan? We've been watching her Comedy Central show, Inside Amy Schumer on HULU over the past few weeks. It's a little raunchy, but so, so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment