Pages

8.12.2015

Midwest Vacation / Chicago, Days 5-8.5

The next day of our vacation, Sunday, we drove to my parent's house in Illinois. They had a barbecue, and my three sisters and their families all came over to visit. It has been over a year since we were all together in one place, and it was great to see every one.
It was also very hot and humid, so Grandma and Grandpa set up the Slip-N-Slide for all the kids. Seamus and Madeleine were not great at it (despite what it looks like in these pictures). They had fun, but quit early complaining they were cold (typical Arizona kids).
On Monday morning we had some family photos taken. I've yet to find a good and reasonably priced photographer in Arizona, so I took advantage of us being in Illinois and had my sister's good friend, Christina Marie take them. She had taken great newborn photos of Seamus for us previously, so I knew she was good. She's also really fun to work with.

After that we hung out at my sister's house for a bit. We visited, the kids played, and then we ordered in from the super yummy, Frank's for the Memories. We headed back to my parent's after that, and Seamus took a nice long nap, essentially his first since we left Arizona. Yay! It was so nice to just finally relax for a little bit. I love the boy, but he's exhausting. We hung out at my parent's through dinner, and then Bill and I topped off the evening by seeing Ant-Man (see my review here).

The next day, Tuesday, was our big day in Chicago. We went to the Field Museum. See us there right in front? My little sister wanted to get the whole museum in the shot with us.
The Field Museum is one of my favorite museums ever. The building is beautiful, and they have such great exhibits inside.
We checked out Sue the T-Rex, as well as an array of other different dinosaur skeletons. Despite what it looks like below, Seamus loved the dinosaurs. We let him loose at the end of the Evolving Planet exhibit, which was basically a room full of dinosaur skeletans, and he was in heaven.
My favorite exhibit is still the Grainger Hall of Gems. What can I say? I'm a sucker for anything that sparkles.
We capped off the museum with their limited engagement Mammoths and Mastodons exhibit. I think the kids had a really good time there.
Then, after the museum, we headed to my little sister's. Her condo has a great swimming pool. We swam a bit, and then her and her boyfriend made us lunch. After that, we headed back to my parent's, and just hung out and relaxed the rest of the day.

On our final full day in Illinois, we spent the morning with my parents. Then, after Seamus napped, we headed to my oldest sister's house this time. It was really nice and low key. We talked and the kids all played. Bill actually headed back to Wisconsin, as he was working the next day. Then, eventually, I left Madeleine at my sister's for the epic cousin's sleepover!! They were all so excited. My little sister, Seamus, and I all went back to my parent's house. We had Chicago style deep dish pizza for dinner, watched a movie, and called it a night.

Thursday, Seamus and I enjoyed the morning with my parents and little sister. Then, we headed to my oldest sister's to collect Madeleine. We said our good-byes, and my dad drove us back to Milwaukee.

It was so nice to be with my family. I miss them all so much more than I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment