Pages

9.21.2015

2015 Emmy Fashion - Back in Black

Did you watch The Emmy's last night? They were on so early here that I missed them due to dinner, baths, and of course the Packers game. After the kids went to bed though, I hopped online to start checking out the dresses. Let me tell you, I was so impressed!! It was such a great red carpet full of color, sequins, hardware, short hemlines, and even jumpsuits! It was definitely one of the best red carpets I've seen in sometime.

So, let's start talking dresses!!

First up, the ladies in black.
Taraji P. Henson
Nominee, Taraji P. Henson, wore this black, lace, Alexander Wang number. I liked the overall shape of it, especially the sweetheart neckline and the chain link straps - nice juxtaposition. The triangle cut-out was distracting though, and I wish the bottom half had been lined. Her simple hair, make-up, shoes, and accessories worked well to complete the overall look. Not bad.

Sophie Turner
Game of Thrones actress, Sophie Turner, wore this blue and black Galvin jumpsuit. In general, I have no problem with pants at an event like this, but they're hard to pull off. This look didn't quite work for me. The waist was too high, and the crotch too low; making the proportions all just a little off. The straight edge bust line looks constricting and too severe. Finally, the necklace and clutch do nothing to accent the look. Her accessories needed to be bigger and bolder. Thank goodness for that flawless face and gorgeous red hair. Sometimes being young is the only accessory you need, right?

Amy Poehler
Nominee Amy Poehler, wore this halter Michael Kors dress. Again, the cut-outs bug me. It would have been a much better look overall without them. This type of silhouette should have elongated her short frame, but the cut-outs combined with the chunky bangles on both wrists actually accented it instead. I liked the edgy earrings, hair, and make-up though. I'm really digging her new hair color.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Julia Louis-Dreyfus accepted her win in this Safiyaa one-shouldered number. I thought she looked great. It's simple, yes, but fits like a glove. The perfect back-drop to showcase those outstanding jewels. The hair looks good too. My only complaint was the lip color, or lack thereof. I would have punctuated the look with a bold red lip. Other than that, great job, Julia!

Julianne Hough
Julianne Hough wore this sheer Marchesa gown. Let me tell you, I'm really over the whole sheer skirt trend. I've always thought it looks tacky. Again, this look would have been vastly improved by the addition of a lining on the lower half. The bodice looks uncomfortable and is doing nothing for her boobs either. Her eye make-up is too dark, and her lip too light. Even her hair can't save the look. This was a miss on all fronts for me.

Laura Carmichael
Downton Abbey's, Laura Carmichael, wore this floral Erdem dress. It was an interesting choice that I think worked well for her. I liked the silhouette, fabric, and peasant feel to the dress. I would have liked it more without the black panel though, and would have preferred a nice v-neck or the same floral fabric across the bodice. That's my only complaint though. Her hair and make-up look fantastic, and the whole look had a great casual vibe to it that really came off well. Good job, Laura!

Natasha Lyonne
Orange is the New Black star, Natasha Lyonne, wore this black, off-the-shoulder, fringed dress (couldn't find the designer). There were actually quite a few off-the-shoulder necklines last night, and I must say, I'm a fan. It's such an elegant look. I was actually all about this look from her head to about her hip, and then she lost me. The fringe and the horrible platform shoes ruined the simple elegance her top half is sporting. This one was a miss for me as well.

Amanda Peet
Amanda Peet wore this Michael Kors jacquard looking gown that feels a bit heavy for the time of year. I like the basic ballgown silhouette, but again, didn't like the cut-out. (Designers, stop with the cut-outs!) I actually didn't mind her ballerina bun hairdo, and her make-up was pretty. Okay, job.

Julie Bowen
Modern Family's, Julie Bowen, looked fabulous in this Georges Chakra Couture number. The dress has great shape and fits well. The neckline detail gives it a bit of visual interest, and the green jewels really pop. Her hair and eyes are pretty good, but I would have done a darker lip to add some drama. Other than that, no complaints. It was pretty, simple, and elegant.

AND FINALLY...

Lady Gaga
OMG! Lady Gaga looked absolutely stunning in this Brandon Maxwell gown. She's almost unrecognizable, and I forgot how pretty she is. She should do simple more often. The silhouette of the dress is elegant and really flatters her, while the interesting draping at the waist keeps it from being boring. Her hair, make-up, and even tattoos all accent the look perfect. Bravo, Lady Gaga!

That's it for black. I'll be posting everyday this week with more Emmy fashion. Make sure you tune in!

All images from here, except for Natasha Lyonne, Amanda Peet, and Julie Bowen which are from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment