Pages

9.23.2015

2015 Emmy Fashion - On the Bright Side

Pink may have been the hot color of the night, but there was still a whole lot of other beautiful brights on the red carpet too. Let's take a look.

Ariel Winter
Modern Family actress, Ariel Winter, wore this red Romona Keveza gown. I think this is the best she has ever looked! The saturated red color is gorgeous, and the silhouette is very flattering on her. Both the asymmetrical bust line and the short train keep it from being too boring. Her hair, make-up, and accessories all really compliment the look as well. Great job, Ariel!

Mindy Kaling
Mindy Kaling wore this yellow Salvador Perez dress. I liked the overall look here, but actually wasn't a huge fan of the color. I would have preferred something more saturated. Anyway, it's a really flattering silhouette on her, and I liked the obvious sari influence. Her hair, make-up, and accessories are all en pointe too. Good job, Mindy!

Niecy Nash
Niecy Nash wore this red Mark Zunino number. The fit on this dress is so incredible. Look at that perfect hour glass figure! She looks great. The flower detailing is good everywhere but on the sleeve, and the dress is just a skosh long, but other than that - no complaints. Her hair, make-up, and accessories are all really cute too. Good job, Niecy!

Amy Schumar
Winner, Amy Schumar, wore this dark teal Zac Posen gown. It's a nice dress and actually fits her pretty good. However, it's not styled well at all. This dress really needs some bling. A big sparkly necklace, earrings, bracelets, and/or even a ring. This dress could have handled it all, but she opted for...nothing? In addition, she needed some lip color to balance that heavy eye. Definitely a missed opportunity here. 

Morena Baccarin
Gotham actress, Morena Baccarin, wore this red, sheer, and lacy Reem Acra number. In general, I don't mind a "lingerie" dress, but this really just looks like lingerie to me. It's too sheer; a lining would have done wonders for it. Unfortunately, this is another case of bad styling too. The shoes are just okay. The clutch does not match. The earrings and bracelet are good, but she needed a necklace too. She should have worn her hair down as well. Thankfully, her make-up looks good. At least there's that. Better luck next time, Morena.

Taylor Schilling
Orange is the New Black star, Taylor Schilling, wore this canary yellow Stella McCartney dress. I was on the fence on this one. It definitely has a "wow" factor that hits you strong, but once you start examining it closely the look starts to fall flat. The color is great. Blondes don't always look great in yellow, but this shade really works for Taylor. I thought the gathered neckline was cool and different. It's actually the hem of the dress that is messing up the whole look for me. The ruffle is too structured. If the dress just fell naturally to the floor, it would have had a really nice breezy look to it and been fine. The ruffle visually stops the flow and is really distracting. The shoes are a bit too matchy-matchy, but I liked the rest of her accessories; and her hair and make-up were pretty too. Just an okay look for me.

January Jones
Mad Men actress, January Jones, looked adorable in this teal Ulyana Sergeenko jumpsuit. It's pretty good, as far as jumpsuits go. In fact, in some pictures, it even looked like a dress. I loved the bold color, and the draping. The bust looks a little stiff, and I think it was just a tad too long. She's selling it though. She's just exuding confidence, which is the only accessory she needs. Great look, January!

Laura Prepon
Laura Prepon looked stunning in this red Christian Siriano gown. At first I wasn't so sure about the gold bolero, but it definitely added some drama. I especially loved the draping on the dress. The detail on the hips and the tiered hem and train are perfection. I bet that fabric felt amazing. I've said before I'm not a fan of her dark locks, but this is the first time they looked natural to me. Her hair and make-up really compliment the look well. Beautiful job, Laura!

Maggie Gyllenhaal
Nominee, Maggie Gyllenhaal, wore this navy and purple Oscar de la Renta number. I may be in the minority here, but I liked it. I have the same complaint I always do with her dresses, in that she always wears her bust lines too low, but that's just Maggie. I think I would have opted for a statement necklace too, instead of the earring/bracelet combo. I loved the dress though. The colors are right up my alley, and it brings a lot of drama. She strikes me as someone who is very comfortable in her own skin, and I think that is reflected in her styling choices. You always know what to expect from Maggie, and this was no exception. Great job! 

AND FINALLY...

Sarah Hyland
Sarah Hyland really wowed in this wine Zac Posen dress. A personal best for her, I think. She actually looks her age here (she's all of 24 years old). The column silhouette is flattering and the color, rich and deep. The off the shoulder neckline is what really did it for me though. So, sophisticated. Her hair and make-up looked great, and I loved those earrings! Beautiful look, Sarah!

All images from here, except for Niecy Nash, Amy Schumar, and Morena Baccarin which are from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment