Pages

10.19.2015

Let's Go To The Movies - The Martian

Bill and I went on a dinner and a movie date night last Friday.  We had dinner at Gordon Biersch, and then headed over to the theater to see The Martian.

Astronaut, Mark Watney (Matt Damon), is presumed dead after he is hit by flying debris and lost during a severe surface storm on Mars. In order to ensure their own survival, his fellow astronauts are forced to leave him and the planet unexpectedly behind. When Mark comes to the next morning, he finds himself stranded and alone on Mars. Armed with an amazing amount of ingenuity, but very little supplies; Mark must find a way to survive on the hostile planet as he awaits a rescue that might never come.

I must confess, I wasn't really looking forward to see The Martian. It looked like most of the movie was just Matt Damon alone on Mars, and I wasn't sure if that would hold my interest.

I was wrong.

I was absolutely captivated by Matt Damon's performance. He was so entertaining from beginning to end, and kept me completely engaged the entire film. The supporting cast was stellar as well. From the quirky, yet super smart NASA team, to the grieving and guilt-ridden astronaut crew up in space, they all help turn Damon's superb solo performance from mere soliloquy to a true ensemble film - and a really good one at that. It's a great survival story; it's a great rescue adventure; it's a great film. It is by far, the best space movie since Apollo 13, and you won't be disappointed. Definitely, check out The Martian. I'm so glad I did.

Did you see The Martian? What other movies have you seen lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment