Pages

11.27.2015

Vegetable of the Month - Sweet Potato

In honor of Thanksgiving, I decided to take on sweet potatoes this month. I'm not a big fan - never having been able to justify the classic potato texture with such a sweet taste. What can I say, I like my potatoes savory, not sweet. Here are the two recipes I tried this month.

1.
Vegetable - Sweet Potato
Recipe - Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes with Herbed Goat Cheese
OMG! These were amazing - so, so good. Seriously, Bill and I were blown away at how good these were. The savory bacon and goat cheese perfectly complimented (masked?) the sweetness of the sweet potato. This recipe is my new go-to sweet potato recipe. I will be making this every Thanksgiving from now until forever, and probably as an appetizer for parties too. By far, the best new recipe I've tried in ages.

Bad for them, but good for Bill and me, the kids didn't care for it. Seamus wouldn't even try it, and Madeleine took one bite and said she didn't like it. They're crazy though. These were delicious!

2.
Vegetable - Sweet Potato
Recipe - Candied Sweet Potatoes
These are the sweet potatoes my mom makes every Thanksgiving, and I usually always pass them up in favor of good ole mashed potatoes instead. Since I was making them, I decided to actually try them this year, and decided they're not too bad. Super sweet, but still okay, although I only ended up eating about half of one wedge over all. Seamus, of course, wouldn't even try them; but Bill and Madeleine both gobbled theirs up.

All-in-all, I'm declaring sweet potatoes a success.

The second recipe is from the Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book, and I've included it below. Enjoy!

Candied Sweet Potatoes
Prep: 40 minutes | Bake: 30 minutes
Oven 375°
Serves 4

3 medium sweet potatoes or yams (1 pound) or one 18-ounce can sweet potatoes, drained
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
¼ to ½ cup chopped nuts or tiny marshmallows (optional)

1.  Cook fresh sweet potatoes, covered, in enough boiling water to cover, for 25 to 35 minutes or till tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel potatoes; cut into ½-inch-thick slices. (Or, cut up canned potatoes.)
2.  In a 1-quart casserole layer half of the potaotes, half of the brown sugar, and half of the margarine. Repeat layers. Baker, uncovered, in a 375° oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till potatoes are glazed, spooning liquid over potatoes once or twice. If desired, sprinkle with nuts or marshmallows and bake for 5 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment