Pages

12.30.2015

Vegetable of the Month - Green Beans

For my last Vegetable of the Month, I decided on green beans! I actually don't mind the taste of green beans, but usually just steam them when I make them as a side dish. I know, not very exciting. So, I decided it was high time to see what else the green bean world had to offer.

First off...

Vegetable - Green Beans
Recipe - Sauteed Green Beans with Tomatoes and Basil
I've actually enjoyed this recipe before. My older sister makes it, and it's a favorite of the entire extended family. It's been some time since I've had it though, so I decided to try making it myself. The green beans end up with a nice crunch, and the combination of the green bean and tomato is just fantastic. Bill and I loved it, but unfortunately neither kid would touch it. Anyway, it's super easy and quick to prepare. I will definitely be making this one again. Yum!

Next up...

Vegetable - Green Beans
Recipe - Crispy Baked Green Bean Fries with Creamy Sriracha Sauce
I thought this recipe was only okay. The beans had very little flavor, and all I could taste were the bread crumbs. I also didn't like the texture of the beans and felt they lost a lot of their great crunch by baking them. The sriracha sauce was good (although a tad spicy for my tastes), and definitely enhanced the recipe, but overall it was a lot of work for very little return. I was actually the only one to try these (Bill wasn't around, and neither kid was interested). This one was miss for me. Bummer.

I hope you enjoyed this series. It was quite an experiment, but one I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment