Pages

1.13.2016

2016 Golden Globes Fashion - Beautiful Blues

For my final Golden Globes Fashion post let's take a look at all the pretty shades of blue that showed up on the red carpet.

Jennifer Jason Leigh
Nominee, Jennifer Jason Leigh, wore this ice blue Roland Mouret dress. The color seemed a little light for January, but that's really my only complaint. It fits her great, and the capped sleeves really balanced the dress nicely. Her hair is pretty, but her make-up was a little light. The belt really tied the whole look together though. Well done, Jennifer.

Joanne Froggatt
Nominee, Joanne Froggatt, wore this flowy periwinkle Reem Acra gown. The skirt had a lot of movement, which was great; but I couldn't get behind the bodice. A plunging v-neck does not work with a strapless gown, as evidenced by the sheer fabric needed to hold it all together over the bust. I don't mind the hair, but I would have flipped it in front her shoulders. The make-up, jewelry, and clutch all compliment the look well. Overall though, this was just okay for me.

Kate Winslet
Winner, Kate Winslet, wore this royal blue Ralph Lauren halter dress. I was so disappointed with this look. Don't get me wrong, she looks fantastic as per usual; but she's worn this same type of gown and even this same color so many times before that I'm getting bored. It's time to freshen up the look, Kate! As much as I can't believe I'm saying it, this was a miss for me.

Gina Rodriguez
Nominee, Gina Rodriguez, wore this navy Zac Posen gown. She was one of the few that opted for a true ballgown silhouette; and it works for her, especially this color. I liked the off-the-shoulder look, but there seems to be something slightly off at the bust line. Her hair, make-up, and jewelry all accented the look really well. Nicely done, Gina!

Bryce Dallas Howard 
Presenter, Bryce Dallas Howard, wore this off the rack Jenny Packham gown (which apparently shocked the world). The color goes great with her complexion and hair, and the dress has a lot of interesting detail. The lace detail on top and the three-quarter sleeves seem to age the overall look though. Seriously, hack off the sleeves and lose the lace and it would have been one sexy dress. Instead it looks like something more suited for Helen Mirren. I wasn't a fan of the earrings, but her hair and make-up looked gorgeous. Despite its few flaws, this color just looks way too good on her to not like this look. Good job, Bryce!

 Julianne Moore
Presenter, Julianne Moore, wore this sequined Tom Ford dress. Note to all redheads - this is your color!! Seriously, she looks amazing in it too. I loved the long sleeves, and the sequins give it such movement. The neckline is a little wonky, but no other complaints with the dress. Her hair was a little unkempt; but her make-up was really pretty and those rings looked amazing. Very nice, Julianne!

Melissa McCarthy
Nominee, Melissa McCarthy, wore this navy kimono-style gown she designed herself. This dress looked much better on TV then it does in any pictures I've seen of it online. It also looked black on TV, and I think it would have actually worked better in black then this weird, shiny blue fabric we're seeing here. The cut was flattering on her; but the pendant necklace was the wrong choice, as were the shoes. I would have gone with a shorter diamond necklace, and some sparkly silver shoes. The bag worked, and I loved her hair and make-up. Not bad, Melissa.

Jamie Lee Curtis
Nominee, Jamie Lee Curtis, wore this navy dress with black flower applique details (couldn't find designer). The hem and sleeves were both too long, giving an overall heavy feel to the dress. Her hair looks great, but I would have done a bolder lip and some dangly earrings instead. I would have changed the black shoe to silver as well. This one was a miss for me.

Viola Davis
Nominee, Viola Davis, wore this starry Marchesa number. The color was gorgeous and it moved really well. I loved the sparkles, but thought they were a little too heavy in the bust area. Her hair and make-up looked fantastic, and I loved the clutch and jewelry too. Well done, Viola!

AND FINALLY...

Jenna Dewan Tatum
Jenna Dewan Tatum was my favorite blue dress and favorite overall look of the night in this sparkling Zuhair Murad gown. The color was gorgeous, and I loved the sequined details. It looks like a beautiful blue flower. The v-neck is just a tad too broad, but that's my only complaint. Her hair and make-up look lovely, and I loved the clutch and jewelry. This dress is so gorgeous that I don't even mind she has her hand her pocket. Absolutely beautiful, Jenna!

What was your favorite look overall? I went back and forth between Jenna and Lady Gaga. I just love navy blue gowns too much though, so Jenna won me over.

All images from here, except for Bryce Dallas Howard's which was from here.

P.S. Make sure to check out all my fashion reviews from the 2016 Golden Globes!
Paint it BlackNude to WhiteShimmer and ShineOver the RainbowPink to RedPatterns, Peplum, and Plumage

No comments:

Post a Comment