Pages

1.12.2016

2016 Golden Globes Fashion - Over the Rainbow

Color really reigned supreme at the Golden Globes this year, and not soft, dainty pastel colors, but big, bright, and saturated colors. It was so refreshing to see. Here we go!

Amy Adams
Presenter, Amy Adams, wore this orangey-red Atelier Versace dress. This was a nice presenter look. It was simple, but the sequins upped the fanciness level. The color looks great on her. I loved the halter neckline, sequins, and her hair was gorgeous too. Great job, Amy!

Angela Bassett
Angela Bassett, also wore orangey-red with this Safiyaa column dress. It fit like a glove and really showed off her toned arms well. I didn't love the color on her, and the neckline was a little wonky. The hair and make-up were underwhelming, but she did bring some bling with some nice jewelry, clutch, and shoes. This was just an okay look for me.  

America Ferrera
Presenter, America Ferrera, wore this Jenny Packham gown. The color actually works on her, and the dress moved really well. I wasn't loving the neckline though. The high neck and jeweled lining were too much, and I would have liked to see just a simple halter neckline instead. Her hair is a little severe for such a soft dress, and a sparkly gold clutch would have worked better than the one she has here. That red lip was great though. Not bad, America.

Lola Kirke
Mozart in the Jungle actress, Lola Kirke, wore this mustard yellow grecian style Monique Lhuillier number. Yellow is really hard to wear, and this shade didn't work well for her. The dress does not fit well along her bust and waist either, and I think the slit is too high. Speaking of the slit, if you're going to wear a dress that allows you to actually show off your shoes, then you better wear some rocking shoes. These were not good shoes. I would have played off the nice red she was sporting with her lips and earrings and found some sort of sparkly wine colored shoes instead. This one was a miss for me.

Michaela Watkins
Michaela Watkins opted for this Christian Siriano fuchsia mermaid gown. It was such a gorgeous color and really complimented her skin tone and hair color well. It fits her great, and the accessories are all on point. Well done, Michaela!

Queen Latifah
Nominee, Queen Latifah, wore this aqua colored dress from her own collection. The silhouette is great on her, and I liked the jeweled halter neckline. I wasn't a huge fan of the color on her, but it wasn't terrible either. Her hair, make-up, and jewelry all complimented the look well. Good job!

Jada Pinkett Smith
Jada Pinkett Smith brought her usual fierceness in this Atelier Versace emerald dress. At first I thought this was too soft a dress for her to pull off, but the more I look at it the more I like it. It's a great juxtaposition. The color looks great on her. The dress fits great, has nice visual interest and flow, and the jeweled belt was such a great accent. This is how you work a slit too. Those shoes are gorgeous! Well done, Jada!

Rachel Bloom
Winner, Rachel Bloom, wore this lovely forest green Christian Siriano gown. Sometimes all you need is great color and fit. I loved the interesting fold of the neckline, and her clutch was super cute too. I thought her hair and make-up were only okay, but you could tell she was just so excited and happy to be there at all that it totally made up for it. She was adorable (and I totally want to start watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend now).

Lily Tomlin
Nominee, Lily Tomlin, wore this classy, sleeved eggplant dress (couldn't find the designer). I really liked this look. It's one of my favorite colors, and the shape is really flattering on her. It's very age appropriate (she's 78!), but still elegant. Loved the jeweled clutch too. You go, Lily!

AND FINALLY...

Jennifer Lopez 
Presenter, Jennifer Lopez, had my favorite bold colored dress in this Giambattisa Valli number. I know, I'm as surprised as you are. The dress isn't perfect. The fit is great, and I loved the train; but he color is walking that very fine line between good yellow and bad yellow, and I didn't like the cape either. However, this is pure diva, and I loved it (check out that knee pop!) The jewelry, clutch, and shoes are fantastic (so much sparkle!), loved her hair, and the deep red nail and lip color looked great against her skin and that yellow. She brought the drama, and I appreciated it. Awesome job, Jennifer!

Which one was your favorite of this group? Check back tomorrow for more dresses - blues, pinks and reds, and finally those that dared to wear patterns.

All photos from here except for Angela Bassett and Lily Tomlin which were from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment