Pages

1.13.2016

2016 Golden Globes Fashion - Patterns, Peplum, and Plumage

Solids and sequins reigned supreme on the red carpet, but there were those that dared to go a different route. Let's take a look.
Eva Longoria 
Presenter, Eva Longoria, wore this flower applique George Hobeika dress. The beautiful flowers on her hips bring so much visual interest, and really pop against the stark white of the dress. The gold belt and faux-bow neckline help balance the heaviness of detailing on her hips. Her hair, make-up, and jewelry all compliment the look well. I would have gone with a different shoe, maybe something in red or gold, but that's it. Well done, Eva!!

Rachel McAdams
Rachel McAdams opted for this rose patterned Lanvin gown. Although I applaud the bold pattern, the bust line is uneven and the texturing on the fabric just makes the dress look wrinkled. Her make-up is nice; but I didn't care for her hair, and she could have done with a necklace. This one was just okay for me.

Maura Tierney
Winner, Maura Tierney, wore this color-blocked Elizabeth Kennedy dress. She strikes me as someone who is not really into the whole red carpet spectacle, but this looks like she didn't even try to make an effort. The dress is plain, but actually not terrible. It fits her well, and the color is nice. It was the styling that was just so way off here. The jewelry is too casual (and kind of ugly), her make-up is too light, and the hair should have been worn down. This was a big miss for me.

Melissa Benoist
Supergirl actress, Melissa Benoist, wore this Monique Lhuillier number. The dress fits her well; but the pattern is too delicate, and I wasn't a fan of the folds of the skirt. The white sandals and earrings are too matchy-matchy, and the pink color on the clutch was not the right color to highlight. I see pops of blue in there, and the look would have benefited from pumps, clutch, and earrings in a nice saturated blue color. The hair and make-up are okay, but the whole look strikes me as one of someone who is very new to the red carpet world. This was a miss for me as well.

Malin Akerman 
Malin Ackerman donned this icy blue (or is it grey?) lace Reem Acra gown. The proportions were a bit off here. It needs to hemmed first of all, but it's really the delicate bust that cannot support the heavy peplum waist and skirt that throws the whole thing off. Her hair, make-up, and accessories all look great though. Overall, not too bad.
  
Heidi Klum
Heidi Klum opted for this feathered Marchesa dress. I'm always amazed how someone so beautiful continuously gets it wrong on the red carpet. Surprisingly, it's actually not the feathers that are necessarily wrong here (although they are pretty bad). The color is very drab, the bust is terrible, and the black belt visually interrupts the line of the dress. Her shoes look too small, and she needed a bolder lip color. Her hair and earrings were the only aspects of this look I liked. Another miss for me.

Calista Flockhart
Actress, Calista Flockhart, wore this teal Andrew Gn gown. The color is absolutely gorgeous, and I loved the contrasting embroidery detailing on the bust. The sleeves were a little too fluttery for my taste, but that's my only issue with the dress. Her hair is a little casual, but I liked her make-up and gold clutch. Nicely done, Calista!

Jaimie Alexnader
Presenter, Jaimie Alexander, wore this stunning green and black Genny gown. The geometric pattern was definitely the most interesting of the night. I think the plunging neckline was too broad, but that's about my only complaint with the dress. Her hair looks good, and I loved the earrings. The smoky eye was good, but she could have done a bolder lip. I would have gone with a more sleek shoe than the chunky platform, and told her to take her hands our of her pockets too. Overall though, beautiful job, Jaimie!

AND FINALLY...

Maggie Gyllenhaal
Presenter, Maggie Gyllenhaal, was my favorite of this bunch in this gold and black floral Marc Jacobs dress. Maggie is the master of ugly chic, and this dress was no exception. On anyone else I would have probably hated this; but on her, it totally works. It had a whole Gatsby vibe that I was definitely feeling. It is perfectly suited to her long and lanky body. I might have changed the lip color, but other than that this is perfection in my book.

Do you agree or disagree? I debated between Maggie and Jaimie's look as my favorite, but I think my overall love for Maggie Gyllenhaal ended up making my decision for me. Who was your favorite in this group?

All photos from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment