Pages

2.29.2016

2016 Oscars - Black and White

Black and white was a big theme at the 88th Academy Awards - both in the broadcast itself and on the red carpet too. Let's take a look at all the black and white dresses from the night.

Julianne Moore
Last year's Best Actress winner, Julianne Moore, looked lovely in this black lace Chanel gown. The embellished and intricately designed neckline works well with the simple silhouette presented in the lower half of the dress. It moved really well, and the lace and bead work added a lot of nice texture as well. I would have preferred smaller jewels, as the large circle earrings and heavy cuff compete with the neckline. The look could have handled bolder make-up too, but I loved her hair. Nicely done, Julianne!

Sarah Silverman
Presenter, Sarah Silverman, wore this Zac Posen column dress. The silhouette of the gown is bugging me a bit. I'm not a fan of what is happening at the hip. Also, it is a bit too long. With such a simple dress, she could have gone a little bigger on the jewels (although the emerald earrings are sweet) and really played up the hair and make-up more too. This one was just an okay look for me.

Jennifer Lawrence
Nominee, Jennifer Lawrence, wore this lace and feathered Dior number. This dress would have worked so much better if the lining was black instead of nude. As is, it could maybe have been saved with some great accessories or jewelry, but there were none. Her hair is nice, but ultimately, this one was a big miss for me.

Whoopi Goldberg
Whoopi Goldberg wore this Danes Of New York gown. There are two competing necklines here, like it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a strapless or off-the-shoulder gown. It's making her look top heavy, and I wish it had only been the off-the-shoulder neckline instead. I wasn't a fan of the jewelry either. Some sparkly chandelier earrings would have been a better choice than the giant octopus bracelet/ring thing. This was a miss for me as well.

Amy Poehler
Amy Poehler wore this black, but colorfully embroidered, Andrew Gn dress. I like the idea of this dress, but it may not have been the best fit for Amy. It's too long for her, and is dwarfing her small frame. It doesn't quite seem her style either, as I never pictured her much as a Bohemian. Also, it seems a tad too casual for the Academy Awards. Despite all that, I think I do kind of like it. There's something to be said for wearing something different and/or risky. Her hair and make-up look great too. Not bad, Amy.

Kate Winslet
Kate Winslet wore this shiny black Ralph Lauren number. I was not a fan of this fabric, but I was pleasantly surprised to see her wear her hair long and loose around her shoulders. The jewelry and make-up were both spot on too. I didn't love the fabric, but it did make for a far more visually interesting dress than if it had just been your basic black. Nice job for trying something different, Kate.

Kerry Washington
Presenter, Kerry Washington, wore this black and white Atelier Versace dress. There was a bit of a weight imbalance for me, as the heavy leather top did not seem to pair right with the light and flowy bottom half. It also could have done without the shoulder straps. There's too much going on when you combine them with the straps on her hips as well. I also would have gone with a white shoe instead, as the black visually interrupts the flow of the dress. I thought her hair was only okay, but her make-up and jewelry were both pretty good. Overall though, this was a miss for me.

Rooney Mara
Nominee, Rooney Mara, wore this white lace Givenchy number. Stylewise, this suits her perfectly, but I wasn't a big fan. I found the diamond belly cut-out distracting and the white shoes were the wrong choice. A gold metallic sandal would have suited the look much better. Her make-up is good, and the hair is a bit severe, but that's how she rolls, so I didn't mind it all that much. It's not my favorite look of the night, but it's classic Rooney.

Olivia Wilde
Presenter, Olivia Wilde, wore this pleated Valentino Haute Couture gown. I loved the bottom half of this gown, loved the clutch, and her face and hair were spot-on. However, the choker combined with the shoulder straps made for a strange rectangle of skin front and center that was distracting. Losing the choker would have done wonders for this look. This one was just okay for me.

Priyanka Chopra
Presenter, Priyanka Chopra whore this white lace Zuhair Murad dress. I would have liked this look a lot more if the lining had been white, although I appreciated the interesting lace pattern. The clutch seemed like the wrong choice, but everything else was pretty spot on. Her face is gorgeous! Nicely done, Priyanka!

Lady Gaga
Nominee, Lady Gaga, wore this white Brandon Maxwell pantsuit. The bodice of this is perfect and I loved the overall silhouette. I suppose if you're going to wear a pantsuit to the Oscars, this is the way to do it. Her hair, make-up, and accessories all complimented the look well. Lovely job, Gaga!

And finally...

Jennifer Gardner
Presenter, Jennifer Gardner's black Versace gown was my pick for the favorite of this bunch. I loved how the off-the-shoulder sleeve makes a continuous line down her chest, folds at the waist, and then pools to the floor. I loved the sparkle of the bodice and belt, and how it is repeated again with the shoes. Her hair and make-up are classic (although a red lip to match those nails would have knocked it out of the park), and I loved all the bling! Beautiful job, Jennifer!!

All images from here, except for Sarah Silverman's and Lady Gaga's which were from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment