Pages

2.12.2016

Candy Heart Cookies

Earlier this week I made the funnest and yummiest Valentine's cookies! I fashioned them after candy hearts, and I was so excited by how well they turned out.
The best part is how simple they are to make (although they are a bit time consuming). I actually spread the process out over three nights. First, I made the sugar cookie dough. I've tried a lot of sugar cookie recipes in my day, and this one is by far my favorite. The dough is really easy to work with, and it tastes great.

The next night I rolled out, cut, and baked the sugar cookies using a heart shaped cookie cutter I already had on hand.
Then, the last night I decorated them using Royal Icing, which seems intimidating, but is actually pretty easy to make and work with. The time consuming part is really making all the different colors and consistencies you'll need. I used this recipe, minus the lemon juice. I also halved the recipe and had more than enough to frost my 18 cookies.

Also, I have this bottle set, and it makes decorating with Royal Icing so much easier for me than dealing with frosting bags and tips. I highly recommend picking up this set if you're at all interested in decorating sugar cookies this way.

I decorated the cookies by first outlining the heart with the icing, then filling it in, and finally spreading it around with a small spatula (check out this video for a visual demonstration of this process). That gave me the nice and smooth colored surface for each heart. I did six colors - pink, yellow, purple, green, orange, and blue.

Once the base layer of Royal Icing hardened, it was time to pipe on the words. I added a bit of powdered sugar to my Royal Icing to thicken it up for this step. If it is too thin, your letters will all run together (which totally happened to me the first two cookies I tried). So, just play around with it. I recommend practicing on a piece of wax paper until you find the consistency that works for you.

After you pipe on your words, let everything set and harden...and voila! Candy Heart Cookies!
I like them because they look super impressive even though they're really not that hard. More importantly, they taste delicious!!

Have you ever worked with Royal Icing? I'm liking it more and more each time I do it.

P.S. Getting Our Christmas Cookie Groove On | Rainbow Cake Tutorial 

No comments:

Post a Comment