Pages

2.01.2016

My Favorite Chili

When I lived in Milwaukee, there was this awesome little soup place called, The Uncanny Soup Company. For $4 you could get a cup of soup and a big honking piece of bread, and I probably ate there a couple of times a week, if not more. They're soups were great, but it was their chili that I absolutely love, love, loved.

Bill gave me their cookbook, The Uncanny Soup Cookbook, as a gift years ago, and I was ecstatic that it included their chili recipe! We don't make it often, but when we do, Bill and I are as giddy as kids on Christmas Eve for the entire day as it slowly cooks for hours.

With the Super Bowl next week, I thought it was time to share my absolute favorite chili recipe.

Enjoy!
SIRLOIN CHIPOTLE CHILI from The Uncanny Soup Cookbook

Ingredients
1 lb. Pinto or Kidney Beans (I always use Kidney)
2 lb. Beef Roast (chuck, tip, or sirloin)
1 cup Beef Broth
1/2 cup Ground Beef
1/2 cup Mesa Flour or Corn Meal (I always use Corn Meal)
1/2 cup diced Onion (I always use yellow)
1/4 cup diced Red Pepper
1/4 cup diced Green Pepper
1 Chipotle Pepper canned in Gluten Free Adobo Sauce
2 cloves Garlic
12 oz. can of Tomato Paste
14.5 oz. can of Diced Tomatoes
Powdered Garlic
Dried Oregano
Cumin
Chili Powder
Vegetable Oil
Salt

1. Cook 1 lb. of pinto or kidney beans, prepared according to package directions. [Note from me, you can substitute canned beans here. It will save a lot of time, and is a lot easier then cooking beans from scratch.]

2. Season a 2 lb. beef roast with heavy pinches of salt, powdered garlic, dried oregano, cumin, and chili powder, then slow cook in a crock pot with a cup of beef broth on low until falling apart.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/4 cup diced red pepper, 1/4 cup diced green pepper, and two cloves of crushed fresh garlic. Saute until soft and the onions become clear.

4. Add 1/2 lb. ground beef, 1/2 cup mesa flour or corn meal, and 1 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce). Cook until the meet is brown, then add the previously cooked beans. Add 12 oz. can of tomato paste and 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes.

5. While the mixture simmers, shred or chunk the roast with two forks. Add all the juice from the crock pot along with the roast. Stir together and add enough water to cover the entire thing.

6. Add 1 tablespoon of cumin, dried oregano, and chili powder. Salt to taste. Cook for 2 hours on a low simmer.

There you have it. It's really easy, but it does take a while. When it's done, you can add whatever you want as a topping then too. I always put bacon and cheese on mine. Bill does the same, but adds sour cream as well. He'll occasionally serve it over pasta too (as in the picture above).

We'll definitely be making this for Super Bowl Sunday.

How about you? Do you have a favorite chili recipe? I have a good vegetarian one too, but I haven't made it in ages. I've also been meaning to try this one as well.

What are your Super Bowl plans? Now that Green Bay and Arizona are both out of the running, I confess, I have very little interest in the game. The commercials and half time show will be the only thing I'll really be tuning in for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment