Pages

3.28.2016

Baa, Baa Lamb Cake

I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend and Easter too, if you're one celebrate it. With it being so early this year, I swear, I just barely scraped it together. One of our traditions, is to make an Easter Lamb Cake! It makes for a really fun and yummy dessert to enjoy after Easter dinner.

I thought I'd share a quick tutorial on how to make this tasty and super easy Easter treat!
First up, you need a lamb cake mold. I have this one here.
Next, prepare your cake mix per the package instructions. I always use a pound cake mix, and after it's done you'll be left with this little guy.
Now it's time to decorate! You'll want to wait until the cake completely cools before starting. As far as frosting goes, store bought is fine. I like to use Pillsbury Classic White frosting, but they were actually out of it at the store this time around; so I used Pillsbury Classic Vanilla frosting instead. It worked and tasted just as well as the Classic White.

The first step is to crumb coat your cake. This is basically just spreading a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake. It blocks any of the cake crumbs from getting mixed into the final layer of frosting and keeps everything looking nice and clean. I also use this step to fill in any cracks or crevices in the cake that were created during the baking process; just fill any you find with frosting. Apply with a small spatula and then put in the refrigerator afterwards to harden.
Now it's time to break out your cake decorating tools. I took a Wilton cake decorating class at my local Michael's a few years back, and bought a basic decorating set (similar to this one here). I used Tip #16 to make the lamb's wool. It's just a little swirl motion, and I alternated doing some clockwise and some counter-clockwise.
You'll want to make sure your icing stays on the firm side. Your hand will warm the frosting and make it too soft after a while. Just pop it in the freezer here and there as you go along. If the frosting is too soft the swirls will start to get messy and droopy. Also, if you're a novice decorator like me, you'll probably end up with little peaks on the end of each swirl. Once the icing hardens a bit, you'll be able to pat each of those down, so don't worry about it too much. I'd recommend starting at the back of the cake too as you get yourself used to the technique.
Next, I mixed up a tiny little bit of pink frosting and used a spatula to apply to the ears. I also applied a bit more white frosting to the face area and smoothed it the best I could. Then I continued to pipe the swirls all around the face and front. Afterwards, I put it in the refrigerator to harden up a little bit. Notice a theme here. It's not hard, but it's not something you can just plow through quickly either.
Next up, time to add some grass...or leaves actually. Mix up a little green icing and use Tip #67 to pipe on a bunch of leaves. They're easy to do and nicely cover the little gap between the cake and the plate. You'll also notice that by this point I have patted down all the little peaks made from when I piped on all those swirls.
The final step, is to add the face. I mixed up some black icing and used Tip #3, although I think I should have probably used Tip #2. Tip #3 was a little thicker than I wanted, but I was okay with it. After all, my primary audience was a 3 and a 5 year old, and they loved it. Seamus kept calling it the Happy Birthday Lamb Cake.
Happy Birthday Lamb Cake or Easter Lamb Cake...whatever you want to call it, this cake makes for a really delightful little addition to your Easter table. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment