Pages

3.16.2016

Let's Go To The Movies - Zootopia

Madeleine is on Spring Break, so we headed to the movies yesterday and checked out Zootopia.

Animals big and small, predator and pray all live together in relative peace and harmony in the bustling city of Zootopia. When, Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin), becomes the first ever rabbit to join the Zootopia police department; she's determined to make a difference despite a total lack of respect or confidence from her boss, Chief Bogo (Idris Elba). Desperate for a chance to show she has what it takes, she stakes her career on solving a puzzling missing mammal case. With no help from within her department she forces a reluctant, con-artist fox, Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) into helping her solve the mystery.

Man, Disney is good. I had no idea what Zootopia was about going in. I just new Disney + animals and thought my daughter would enjoy it. As the story started, I figured I knew where it was headed. Nobody thinks the bunny can be a police officer. "I get it," I thought to myself, "this is a film about how anybody can be anything they want to be if they're willing to put in the work. Cool, that's a good message for my daughter. I can get behind this." Then the bunny got to Zootopia, and before I even knew what happened I realized I was watching a film about sexism and racism and fear mongering and racial profiling! I was so impressed they were able to tell such a complex and layered story so subtly, all the while making it really colorful and fun for kids. It was truly an amazing fete of storytelling. I highly recommend taking your kids to see this one. Yes, it's a cute movie, but it's also a great opportunity to start (or hopefully continue) teaching our children about equality.

Also, the sloths were hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment