Pages

4.29.2016

Do I Like Orange?

I was browsing rugs at Crate and Barrel the other day, and off all their rugs, this is the one that really caught my eye. I remember thinking it was exactly what I was looking for. Absolutely perfect...except for it's orange.
The more that I think about though, the more I think my initial gut reaction was right; and that maybe...

I actually...sorta...really...like decorating with orange.

Let's take a look at the evidence.

In the living room, where I was envisioning the above rug going, I already have pops of orange peeking through in both the paintings and the pillows.
I've had the chevron Jonathan Adler pillow for awhile, and just recently purchased these pillows from Target to add to the mix. I thought it was the hot pink I was digging, but maybe it's the orange.
Next, in the family room, I've had this orange (excuse me, persimmon) side table for ages. I got it from West Elm (still available in other colors here) when we painted the living room of our first house peacock blue.
That's not the only pop or orange in here either. Bill's telescope is orange, and remember that rug I bought awhile back (see here)? I've since put it away for a little bit because I didn't want it to get ruined; but I still love it, and it has a lot of orange in it too.
Moving into the dining room, I can actually put together an all-orange place setting! Granted, it's just the one, but still. Even my fine china has touches of orange in it too (see here).
The kitchen has a touches of orange in it here and there too.
We even have this little guy hanging out on our fridge.
Finally, we can't forget about Madeleine's room. She's been rocking this orange floral bedding for awhile now (still available here).
It's not just our decor either. Check out Bill's bags! We were talking about favorite colors with the kids the other day, and he recently admitted that orange is a favorite color of his.
I think it's safe to say, that I like it too!

At least, definitely as an accent color. I'm drawn to jewel tones - teal, navy blue, fuchsia - and I think orange accents all those colors nicely.

I also like rainbows, which orange is an integral part of. Yes, I could make an orange place setting above, but I could also do the same with red, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Same goes for my cooking utensils and kitchen towels. I want anything that comes in lots of different bright colors, so I usually end up accumulating orange items that way too.

Bill is also bringing orange into the house whether he realizes it or not. He reminded me during the writing of this post that he actually has a third orange bag! He says he likes the visibility of the color. A lot of his workout wear is orange, so that makes sense. It makes sense decor-wise too. It's a great pop of color and instantly draws the eye to it.

Needless to say, we're friends of the color orange around here. It's bold and bright and cheery; and I'm happy to have it in my home.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice choice. I think it's a color that just says 'happy' and warm. Good job.

    ReplyDelete