Pages

5.18.2016

Book Report - Yes Please and The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

The next two books I read as part of the Pop Sugar 2015 Reading Challenge were Yes Please by Amy Poehler, which marked off "A book by a female author" and The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo which marked off "A nonfiction book".

First, Yes Please by Amy Poehler.
Amy Poehler's first book is a comedic memoir of her life from her early days of improv to making it big on Saturday Night Live. She offers up her words of wisdom on all things like love, divorce, parenting, and career. No matter where you are in life, Yes Please offers up a seemingly endless supply of funny stories and anecdotes from one of the great comedic voices of this generation.

I was really looking forward to reading Yes Please. Amy Poehler is a favorite of mine, and I had really really high expectations for this book. I don't want to say that the book fell short of them, more it didn't quite live up to what was probably unreasonably high expectations on my part. I enjoyed the book a lot, and it was funny; but I felt she was holding a lot back too, or at least not focusing on the parts of her story I was most interested in like her childhood and her journey to success. I wanted to hear more about how she got to where she is, not necessarily what life was like once she got there. Like I said though, still a very funny book, not just the funny book I was hoping for.

Next, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo.
Marie Kondo offers up a whole new way to tidy; a way so effective, you'll never have to do it again. By keeping only those things in your home that truly give you joy, her wise words and categorical approach to decluttering will have you itching to grab a garbage bag and get going on applying the KonMari Method to your own home immediately.

I loved this book!! So much so, actually, that I rated it my favorite Non-Fiction book read in 2015 (see here). I'm always longing for an organized and tidy home, but can never seem to achieve it. Marie Kondo's method (aka the KonMari Method) really resonated with me, and I started to question why I was holding onto so much stuff. By going through your entire house item by item and keeping only those things that truly bring you joy you'll be left with a home free of clutter. Instead of your home being another source of stress in your life, it will be the calm and motivating retreat of your dreams. It all made perfect sense to me, and I found Marie's words to be innovative, practical, and inspiring. If the clutter in your house is causing you any sense of stress or unease, I highly recommend The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

What are you guys reading these days? 

No comments:

Post a Comment