Pages

5.30.2016

Let's Go To The Movies - The Jungle Book

Happy Memorial Day everybody! Bill and I took Friday off, and while the kids were at daycare/school, we went biking, out to lunch, and caught up on some TV shows. The rest of the weekend was spent swimming, tiling, and relaxing at home. Madeleine and I capped off the weekend by going to see The Jungle Book this morning!

A human child, Mowgli (Neel Sethi), is abandoned in the jungle, saved by a panther, Bagheera (Ben Kingsley), and raised by wolves. When the vicious tiger, Shere Kahn (Idris Elba) decides the child must die, Bagheera and Mowgli go on an adventure ridden journey through the jungle in an attempt to get Mowgli back to the man village to save him from Shere Kahn. Other voices include, Bill Murray as Baloo, Scarlett Johansson as Kaa, and Christopher Walken as King Louie.

I wasn't sure going in, if this was a remake of the 1967 Disney cartoon or a new adaptation of Rudyard Kipling's novel. I'd say, it's a bit of both, although it has been a long time since I read the book to say for sure. The story here is different from that of the cartoon, but it does still include the familiar songs we all know and love from the animated version.

This movie was pretty amazing. The entire time I kept wondering how they made it because it is so life-like. Like crazy, life-like. Turns out, this "live-action" version is not so live. Other than Mowgli, the entire film is CGI, and it's incredible. It just might be the best CGI I have ever seen.

It's a great story too, with phenomenal acting and voice-acting done by all. It's fun, scary, and full of action. I'd say I loved every minute of it, but I have to address the songs. Like I said, they used some of the songs from the original Disney film - The Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You. I'll give them The Bare Necessities. As Mowgli and Baloo float down the jungle river singing and playing; that one worked okay and would have been the perfect little nod to the original film. But when the fearsome King Louie, and he was seriously scary, started singing I Wanna Be Like You, it was so out of left field that I found myself saying, "No, No, No!" It was so weird and wrong and was the one flaw in what could have otherwise been a flawless film.

Overall though, I loved 99% of this movie. It's a fantastic family film.

No comments:

Post a Comment