Pages

7.15.2016

Book Report - The Complete Maus and A Christmas Carol

You guys, we've come to the end! Finally, the last two books I read as part of the Pop Sugar 2015 Reading Challenge. The Complete Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman marked off "A graphic novel" and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens marked off "A book set in Christmas".

First up, The Complete Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman.
Maus: A Survivor's Tale recounts the true story of Vladek Spiegelman, a European Jew during World War II, as told by his cartoonist son, Art Spiegelman, in an attempt to come to terms with what happened to his father during one of our darkest times in history. Spiegelman casts the Jews as mice and the Nazis as cats to portray this deeply personal story of a man's horrific past alongside that of a son's desperate need to connect with and understand his father.

I vividly remember reading this story as a kid, so when a graphic novel came up on my challenge list; I immediately decided it was time to read Maus again. It made quite an impression on me in my youth. I remembered how it made the terrible events of WWII easy to comprehend in a way that made sense, all the while never shying away from telling the hard truth. It's a very complicated story told very simply, and that's not a criticism in any way. It's the simplicity of the story that is its genius. Cat and mouse. Nazi and Jew. It's a gripping and visually stunning work of literature.

Next up, the classic Christmas tale, A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens.
Crotchety old mizer, Ebenezer Scrooge, is visited, on Christmas Eve, by the ghost of his old business partner, Jacob Marley, as well as the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet To Come. The ghosts take Scrooge on a journey of self-discovery in an attempt to help the selfish man upon a new path come Christmas morning.

Okay, full disclosure...I don't like Dickens. You know I love me the classics, but I've always found Dickens extremely difficult to read and don't get much enjoyment from his works. However, I thought knowing the story of The Christmas Carol so well would help me to finally get behind Dickens, but alas, it was not to be. It still, for me, was like pulling teeth - absolutely excruciating. It's a beloved story, and I enjoy it in movie form every Christmas season, but this is not one I'll be reading again anytime soon.

What are you reading lately? Are there any famous authors that, try as you might, you just can't get behind?

P.S. Check out the complete list of books I read as part of the Pop Sugar 2015 Reading Challenge here.

P.P.S. Don't forget to enter the giveaway to win a copy of the Hamilton soundtrack!  You have until 7/29 to enter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment